Creamy, buttery, and delicious, this is the best and creamiest mashed potatoes recipe you will ever find. It's velvety, smooth, and melts in your mouth.
- 3 lbs. yukon gold or russet potatoes (approximately 4-5 large potatoes), peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup (or 2 ounces) cream cheese
- 3/4 cup half and half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- fresh parsley, finely chopped (optional, for garnish)
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water to cover potatoes by about an inch. Heat over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are soft when you insert a fork.
- Drain potatoes and place back in the pot. Use a potato masher (or a fork) to mash the potatoes.
- Add in the butter and cream cheese and use an electric hand mixer to mix until melted and incorporated into the potatoes.
- Slowly add in the cream and continue to whisk with the electric mixer. Add salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a serving dish, garnish with parsley, extra butter and serve warm.
Make ahead instructions: You can make this up to 3 days ahead. I would recommend leaving out the butter and storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When ready, reheat on the stove or in the microwave. Add the butter and serve.
How to store: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: best mashed potatoes, creamiest mashed potatoes, mashed potatoes, creamy mashed potatoes, how to make the best mashed potatoes