Sweet potato casserole with pecans is the perfect fall side dish and a staple for Thanksgiving dinner. This casserole is packed with soft and tender sweet potatoes and a buttery crunchy pecan topping instead of a traditional marshmallow topping.
Sweet potato casserole is a dish that makes a Thanksgiving or a holiday dinner spread complete. Serve it along with some other classic side dishes such as creamy mashed potatoes, garlic green beans, and cornbread stuffing. Or scroll through some of my favourite sides below:
Here is what you will need to gather to make this casserole (full quantities and recipe in recipe card below):
- sweet potatoes - I used 3 medium sweet potatoes.
- heavy cream - you can also use half-and-half cream.
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- pecan topping - pecans, butter, sugar, and all-purpose flour.
How to Make the Best Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecans
- Bake the sweet potatoes until soft and tender. Preheat the oven to 350 F and poke the sweet potatoes with a fork to make a few vents. Place on a lined baking sheet and bake for 1 hour until they are completely soft inside, and fork tender. If you can insert a fork easily into the flesh, then it is fork tender.
- Prepare the sweet potato filling. Cut the sweet potatoes in half and scoop out the flesh into a large mixing bowl. Add heavy cream, butter, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Mix all the ingredients well with a hand mixer for 1-2 minutes until the mixture is smooth. Transfer the mixture into a 9-inch square baking dish. Gently tap the baking dish on the counter a few times to release any air bubbles and spread the mixture evenly.
- Prepare the pecan topping. In another large mixing bowl, combine pecans, softened butter, flour and sugar. Use your fingers to rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Spread the mixture evenly over the top of the sweet potatoes with a spoon.
- Bake the sweet potato casserole. Bake the casserole at 350 F for 35-40 minutes until golden brown on top. Set it aside to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
How to Make Ahead and Store Sweet Potato Casserole
- Make-ahead instructions: Prep and assemble the sweet potato casserole the night before. Prior to baking, cover and refrigerate it for up to 2 days. When ready to bake, take it out of the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Then, bake for 35-40 minutes at 350 F, as per recipe instructions.
- How to freeze: You can freeze the prepared but uncooked sweet potato casserole. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and place in the freezer. I would recommend assembling the casserole in a disposable tin pan. You can freeze it for up to 3 months. When ready to bake, allow the casserole to defrost in the refrigerator or at room temperature. Then, bake for 35-40 minutes at 350 F, as per recipe instructions.
- How to store: Store any leftover casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- How to reheat: Reheat leftover casserole in the oven at 300F for 15-20 minutes. You can cover the top with aluminum foil to prevent it from burning.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Sweet Potato Soup
- Savoury Mashed Sweet Potato
- Baked Sweet Potato Wedges with Honey Mustard
- Herb-Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Yam and Sweet Potato Yellow Curry
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.