Crispy leaf potatoes are a delicious potato side dish made with layers of well seasoned, buttery, sliced potatoes. The tops of these paper-thin potato slices crisp up like potato chops when baked in the oven. They are the perfect side to serve for a holiday meal or on any night of the week when you need an extra comforting and delicious side dish. Plus, they are easy to make with just a few basic steps and a few simple ingredients.
Just like Hasselback Potatoes, these potato slices are smothered in all the best things: butter, garlic and herbs. The slices just soak up all the flavour and crisp up to perfection. Some other easy roasted potato side dishes that pack on the flavour include Roasted Garlic Parmesan Baby Potatoes and Greek Lemon Roasted Baby Potatoes.
To make baked crispy leaf potatoes, you will need the following ingredients:
- russet potatoes - you can also use Yukon gold potatoes, which is also very delicious in this recipe. I choose to keep the skin on my potatoes to cut down the prep time (and I love the skins), but this is completely optional. To prepare the potatoes, you will also need to slice them up into very thin slices. The easiest way to do this is to use a mandoline slicer and cut resistant gloves.
- olive oil
- unsalted butter
- Italian seasoning - you can substitute this with 1.5 tablespoons of fresh herbs. Some fresh herbs that you can use are thyme, rosemary, and oregano.
- garlic powder - you can substitute this with 1-2 minced cloves of garlic.
- salt and pepper
- for serving - you can serve this as is or with chopped parsely and grated Parmesan (completely optional).
How to Make the Best Crispy Leaf Potatoes
- Slice the potatoes. Using a mandoline slicer, thinly slice the potatoes (peeled or unpeeled) and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Season the potatoes. Transfer the spiced potatoes into a large mixing bowl and add in 1 tablespoon olive oil, melted butter, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly.
- Assemble. Arrange the potatoes upright in a 9x13-inch casserole pan and brush the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. This helps the top get even more crispy.
- Bake. Bake in a 400 F preheated oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes until golden brown. Check occasionally to make sure the top doesn't brown too much.
- Serve. Top with parsley and Parmesan cheese (optional) and serve immediately.
How to Serve Crispy Leaf Potatoes
You can serve crispy leaf potatoes alongside any main course meal. Some of my favourites include: Whole Roast Chicken, Ribeye Steak, Dijon Lamb Chops, Honey Garlic Salmon, and Mussels in Tomato Sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions and Tips
- Can I use duck fat? Absolutely. Crispy leaf potatoes are commonly cooked in duck fat instead of butter. You can easily substitute this for another option with a greater depth of flavour.
- Can I make this ahead of time? I would not recommend making this ahead of time because the potatoes will start to go brown from oxidization. If you do want to slice the potatoes in advance, you can store them in a bowl filled with water to prevent them from oxidizing. Then, drain and pat dry the potatoes completely before seasoning and assembling.
- How long do crispy leaf potatoes last? You can store leftover crispy leaf potatoes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, heat in a 300 F preheated oven for 10 minutes or air fryer for about 5 minutes, until warmed through. You can also heat in the microwave, but the texture will not be as crispy.
More Potato Recipes
- Creamy Potatoes au Gratin
- Hasselback Potatoes with Garlic Herb Butter
- Ham and Potatoes au Gratin
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream
- Homemade Tater Tots with Bacon
- The Best and Creamiest Mashed Potatoes
- Crispy Air Fryer French Fries
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.