Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! Wishing everyone lots of love and laughs with family and friends! If you are hosting the big event this year, this recipe has just made your life a little easier. The key to stress-free holiday entertaining is to prepare some dishes that take no time and no effort to make. I am talking about dishes that take under 30-minutes to make or dishes that can be made in one pan. How about both? That’s where maple roasted brussels sprouts and butternut squash comes in play.
Just because something takes no time or effort to prepare, doesn’t mean that it’s quality is compromised. In fact, this side dish is bursting with flavour in every single bite. That is kind of the secret of roasting. It enhances the flavours in these vegetables about ten-fold. And don’t get me started on the texture. The vegetables are crisp on the edges, yet soft and tender on the inside.
Not that I am biased or anything, but these brussels sprouts and butternut squash are kind of perfect for your holiday table. But, I don’t limit myself to the holidays. I make this dish throughout the season. I mean, why wouldn’t I? It’s makes weeknight meal planning so easy. Plus, if I have leftovers, I use it up the next day for lunch or dinner by throwing it in a salad.
Take the stress out of entertaining with this easy, one-pan maple roasted brussels sprouts and butternut squash side dish, filled with flavour in every bite.
- 1 lb. fresh brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 1 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped into 1-inch cubes (approx. 2 and 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup pecans (optional for serving)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Add ingredients to a lined or lightly greased baking tray. Toss until combined.
- Spread evenly and roast for 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender and edges are browned.
- Toss in pecans (optional) and serve.
If you would like it the vegetables to be a little more crispier, place under the broiler for a couple minutes.