Soft and tender, roasted butternut squash is the easiest side dish to make this fall. This gluten-free and vegan recipe packs on a ton of flavour with just a few simple pantry staples. Plus, roasting adds a much more intense depth of flavour that you would not get if cooking squash using other methods. This dish is a must on your dinner table this season.
Here is what you will need to gather to make this recipe:
- butternut squash - one medium head butternut squash peeled and cubed into 1-inch pieces (about 5-6 cups). You can also make it even easier and use pre-cubed butternut squash which you can pick up at most grocery stores this time of year.
- olive oil
- rosemary - I used dried rosemary buy you can also substitute with fresh if you prefer.
- salt and pepper
How to Make Easy Roasted Butternut Squash
Roasted butternut squash is a delicious side dish that is so easy to make. It is a life saver when entertaining and you are looking for some more dishes to add to your dinner menu. It literally just takes a couple easy steps to prep this dish.
First, peel the squash with a potato peeler and cut it lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and discard. Then, chop it into 1-inch cubes. Transfer the cubed squash directly into a sheet pan. Add remaining ingredients and toss to combine.
Transfer the pan to the 425 preheated oven and roast for 25-30 minutes under tender. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh parsley on top. So so easy.
How to Serve Roasted Butternut Squash
- Serve it as a side dish with your favourite fall meals. Some of my favourites to pair this with are easy juicy roasted turkey breast, mashed potatoes, and crispy brussels sprouts.
- Add it to your holiday dinner menu. It's one less item to stress about.
- Use it to make soup. My favourites are roasted butternut squash soup, butternut squash and apple soup and roasted butternut squash and cauliflower soup.
- Serve it salad like this fall harvest salad or warm lentil salad.
- Add it to pasta. Try my favourite winter squash carbonara pasta.
More Roasted Vegetables to Try
- Easy Roasted Cauliflower
- Easy Garlic Herb-Roasted Carrots
- 12-Minute Roasted Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Easy Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Herb-Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Asparagus and Mushrooms
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.
Roasted butternut squash is the easiest vegan side dish you need this fall. It has a ton of flavour with just a few simple pantry staples.
- 1 medium butternut squash, cubed into 1-2 inch pieces (about 5-6 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Peel the butternut squash and remove the seeds. Then, cube into 1-inch pieces and transfer into a large baking pan. Add in remaining ingredients (olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper) and toss to combine.
- Transfer pan to the oven and roast for 25-30 minutes, until soft and tender.
- Serve with a sprinkle of fresh parsley on top.
How to serve: Serve roasted butternut squash as a side dish with your favourite fall meals. I like to pair it with easy juicy roasted turkey breast, creamy mashed potatoes, easy roasted brussels sprouts and an apple walnut salad. Add don't forget to add it to your easy Thanksgiving menu. A side dish this easy will be a life-saver on the big day when you have a million other things to stress over.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: roasted butternut squash, easy butternut squash, how to roast butternut squash, thanksgiving side dish