Air fryer butternut squash is a healthy side dish that is crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy inside. It's seasoned with just a handful of simple pantry staples that brings out the natural flavors of the butternut squash so well. If you love crispy and tender sheet pan veggies, this air fried winter vegetable recipe is a must-try. It's so much faster than roasting (it takes just 12 minutes to cook in the air fryer!), needs less oil, and has the best texture.
Why You’ll Love Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Easy to make. Sheet pan veggies are one of my favorite side dishes to make because they’re healthy, delicious, and so easy to make. This air fryer butternut squash is no different (well it’s just a lot faster). Simply cut up the squash, coat it with seasoning, pop it into the air fryer, and enjoy! Seriously. It’s that easy. So, if you’re a beginner at cooking, this is the perfect winter veggie recipe for you.
- The natural flavor of butternut squash. If you’ve never had butternut squash, you’re missing out! Although its flavor is fairly mild, it is sweet and nutty, and it pairs with almost any seasoning. For this recipe, we’ll highlight those natural flavors with salt, pepper, garlic, and Italian seasoning.
- A super healthy side dish. Butternut squash contains protein and fiber, but the real benefits lay in its vitamins. One serving of butternut squash contains more than 100% of your daily dose of vitamin A, plus vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, and calcium.
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make this crispy air fryer butternut squash, you will need the following ingredients (full quantities in the recipe card below):
- butternut squash
- olive oil
- Italian seasoning - you can substitute this with dried oregano or dried thyme.
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- pumpkin seeds - optional, for serving.
The best thing about air fryer butternut squash is that it’s completely customizable. You can switch up the flavor profile but changing the seasonings. Try a pinch of cayenne for a kick or add maple syrup for a touch of sweetness.
How to Make the Best Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Combine ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients including butternut squash, olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Air fry. Transfer to the basket of the air fryer and arrange in a single layer. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you make need to do this in 2 batches. Air fry at 400F for 12-15 minutes until tender and crisp.
- Serve. Serve with a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds on top.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- How to serve: Butternut squash is very versatile. It goes great with chicken, fish, beef, pork, other veggies, and starches like potatoes, pasta, and rice. I often make this and serve it in a delicious Fall Harvest Salad.
- How to store: Before storing air fryer butternut squash, allow it to cool to room temperature completely. Then, place it in an airtight container for up to three to four days and store in the refrigerator.
- How to reheat: Reheat leftover butternut squash in an air fryer at 400F for 5-10 minutes (or a 400F preheated oven, covered in aluminum foil, for 10-15 minutes).
More Butternut Squash Recipes
- 20 Best Butternut Squash Recipes
- Roasted Butternut Squash
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Stuffed Butternut Squash with Wild Rice
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup
- Butternut Squash Quesadillas with Chicken and Kale
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.