Sweet and savoury, buttery rosemary cornbread is the only bread side dish you need this holiday season. This cornbread is soft and moist with golden crispy edges. It is packed with the flavour of traditional cornbread but with an added fresh wintery taste of rosemary. Plus, it's the easiest recipe ever with a few simple ingredients, 10 minutes of prep, and no mixer required. Now that's what I am talking about!
Ingredients in Rosemary Cornbread
- all-purpose flour
- cornmeal - I used a fine cornmeal.
- fresh rosemary - adds a warm and cozy fall and wintery flavour.
- baking powder and baking soda - leavening agents to promote rising.
- vegetable oil - helps keep the cornbread super moist.
- brown sugar - a little sweetness to complement the balance out the savoury flavour of the rosemary.
- maple syrup - optional, for serving.
What is Cornmeal?
Cornmeal is dried ground corn (almost like flour) that ranges from fine to coarse in texture. I use a fine cornmeal in this recipe, but you can certainly use a coarser one. It will give a slightly different texture, but just as delicious.
How to Make the Best Rosemary Cornbread
- Combine dry ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and rosemary. Set aside.
- Combine wet ingredients. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together milk, vegetable oil, egg, and brown sugar, until smooth and the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture. Stir with a silicone spatula to combine until no dry flour is visible in the bowl. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl with the spatula. Do not overmix. The mixture will be fairly wet.
- Bake. Pour the mixture into a greased 8-inch square pan. Tap the pan to release some trapped air bubbles, if any. Transfer the pan into the 400F preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes before serving. Slice and serve with a drizzle of maple syrup (optional).
How to Serve Cornbread
It is also the perfect side to serve alongside your Thanksgiving dinner. Some other great sides to add to your Thanksgiving menu are mashed potatoes, nutty green beans, and roasted butternut squash. You can also make a batch to use in a cornbread stuffing.
How to Store Cornbread
Store cornbread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also freeze them in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. To thaw, place in the refrigerator or kitchen counter, then reheat in the microwave, air fryer or oven at 350 F for 5-10 minutes.
More Easy Bread Recipes
- Easy Cornbread Muffins
- Homemade No Yeast Biscuits
- Garlic Cheddar Biscuits
- Green Onion Dinner Rolls
- Pumpkin Dinner Rolls
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.