Soft and tender, easy roasted pumpkin wedges with Parmesan cheese is one of the easiest, delicious side dishes to make this fall. This gluten-free recipe is packed with flavour with a few simple ingredients, topped perfectly with Parmesan and parsley. Plus, prep it in just minutes by tossing all the ingredients in one bowl and roasting for an incredible depth of flavour. It's a no-stress side that is perfect to serve any night of the week, especially on your Thanksgiving holiday table.
It's never too early to start prepping for Thanksgiving dinner, and especially so when it comes to side dishes. There are just so many to choose from. Every year we stick to the classics, creamy mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole with pecans, sautéed garlic green beans, and cranberry walnut apple stuffing, and add a few new and exciting dishes. This easy roasted pumpkin with parmesan is just that --- new and exciting.
To make this delicious pumpkin, you will need the following pantry staples:
- pumpkin - I used a small kabocha pumpkin (also known as a kent pumpkin or Japanese pumpkin). You can also use other types of pumpkin or winter squash.
- olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- soy sauce
- balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese - freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top.
- parsley - finely chopped fresh parsley for garnish.
How to Make the Best Roasted Pumpkin Wedges with Parmesan Cheese
Roasted pumpkin wedges are so easy to make and so delicious. First, cut lengthwise into the pumpkin, scoop out the seeds, and slice into ¾-inch wedges.
Then, throw the pumpkin along with all the seasonings (olive oil, Italian seasoning, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper) into a large mixing bowl or directly into a sheet pan, and toss to combine until well coated. Spread the pumpkin into an even layer on the pan and pop the pan into a 325 F preheated oven and roast for 20-25 minutes, or until the pumpkin is fork tender. If a fork slides in easily when inserted, then it is fort tender and ready.
Transfer pumpkin onto a serving dish, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and parsley on top and serve immediately.
PRO TIP: If the pumpkin is too difficult to cut into, you can microwave it for 1 minute or bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes to soften it a bit before cutting into it, scooping out the seeds, and slicing.
How to Serve Roasted Pumpkin
Serve easy roasted pumpkin as a side dish all season long with your fall meals. Some great ideas to pair this with are whole roast chicken, apple cider chicken breasts, air fryer lamb chops, or roasted spatchcock chicken.
It is also the perfect side dish to serve at your Thanksgiving holiday dinner, because it's so easy to make. Serve it with a juicy whole roast turkey or an easy juicy roasted turkey breast if you are having a smaller celebration this year. Try some other vegetable side dishes or potato side dishes below to pair it with:
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Focaccia with Fresh Herbs
- Coconut Curry Pumpkin Soup
- Pumpkin Chickpea Coconut Curry
- Creamy Pumpkin Hummus
- Carrot Pumpkin Soup
- Easy Pumpkin Dinner Rolls
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.
Soft and tender, easy roasted pumpkin wedges with Parmesan cheese is one of the easiest and most delicious side dishes to make this fall. Prep it in just minutes.
- 1 lb. kabocha pumpkin (kent or Japanese pumpkin), sliced into ¾-inch thick wedges
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (for topping)
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, finely chopped (for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Slice the pumpkin into ¾-inch thick wedges. If the pumpkin is too difficult to cut into, you can microwave it for 1 minute or bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes to soften it a bit before cutting into it, scooping out the seeds, and slicing.
- Transfer the pumpkin wedges into a large mixing bowl. Add olive oil, Italian seasoning, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine until well coated.
- Spread the pumpkin evenly into a single layer on a half sheet pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the pumpkin is fork tender. If a fork slides in easily when inserted, then it is fort tender and ready.
- Transfer pumpkin onto a serving dish, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and parsley on top and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy roasted pumpkin with parmesan cheese, roasted pumpkin, how to roast pumpkin, pumpkin with cheese