There’s nothing more comforting in October than a nice, creamy bowl of soup. And we all know that October is all about pumpkins so here’s a hot offer for dinner — a vibrant carrot pumpkin soup topped with herbs and roasted sunflower seeds that feeds 6 hungry people.
Bursting with flavour, this comforting, vegetarian soup comes alive with hearty pumpkin, sweet carrots and a little kick of garlic. The pumpkin and carrot combo creates such an incredible flavour that complements the unusual mix of spices (which I must say, brings the soup to a whole new level).
For the spices in this soup, I used a combination of black pepper, Herbes de Provence and a pinch of chilli powder (if you are not afraid of a little heat). Spices brighten up the sweet and delicate flavours of the carrot and pumpkin and actually add a lot of health benefits — I am talking major anti-inflammatory benefits here.
Making this vibrant orange beauty of a soup is also really easy. You simply cook everything in a pan, then just pulse it all together to get a nice creamy puree. It is the truly the perfect option for a lazy dinner since it comes together in just a little over 30 minutes!
What I love about this carrot pumpkin soup is that you can make it ahead of time and freeze it for later. Then all you need to do on a lazy night is defrost and reheat! In fact my activity this past weekend was making a big batch of this soup, eating it a couple of nights during the week and freezing the rest for later.
Bursting with flavor, this comforting, vegetarian carrot pumpkin soup is wholesome, nutritious and perfect to feed a whole family on a lazy night.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 cup pumpkin, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium parsley root, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 and 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence spice mix
- 1/2 cup half and half cream + 2 tablespoons for garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
- pinch of chilli powder, to taste
- fresh herbs and roasted sunflower seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and fry for 2 to 3 minutes until soft and translucent. Add pumpkin, parsley root and carrot, and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetable stock and Herbes de Provence spice mix and stir together. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove the soup from heat. Using an immersion blender or food processor, pulse until smooth.
- Add cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a pinch of powdered chilli (you can skip this if you cannot handle an little kick of heat).
- Transfer to 6 serving bowls, decorate with a swirl of cream, herbs and sunflower seeds. Serve hot.