Bursting with flavor, this comforting, vegetarian carrot pumpkin soup is wholesome, nutritious and perfect to feed a whole family on a lazy night.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 cup pumpkin, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium parsley root, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 and 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence spice mix
- 1/2 cup half and half cream + 2 tablespoons for garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
- pinch of chilli powder, to taste
- fresh herbs and roasted sunflower seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and fry for 2 to 3 minutes until soft and translucent. Add pumpkin, parsley root and carrot, and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetable stock and Herbes de Provence spice mix and stir together. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove the soup from heat. Using an immersion blender or food processor, pulse until smooth.
- Add cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a pinch of powdered chilli (you can skip this if you cannot handle an little kick of heat).
- Transfer to 6 serving bowls, decorate with a swirl of cream, herbs and sunflower seeds. Serve hot.