Looking for a delicious cozy soup to warm you up this season? Whether you are craving something hearty, silky and smooth, or meaty, soup is what fall and winter is all about. It’s comfort food in a bowl. So if you are wondering what kind of soup to make today, then you are in the right place. Today we are sharing over 60 (yes, 60!) of our best and most popular soup recipes including vegetarian soups, chicken soup for the soul, squash fall soups, meaty soups and chili, summery soups (tomato soup, anyone?), and Asian-style soups that are so much better than takeout.
Why We Love Homemade Soup
Soups are kind of a staple in our home for several reasons:
- comfort food!
- can be made a day or two ahead.
- are usually one pot recipes.
- can eat for lunch or dinner.
- can serve casually at home on a rainy day or can dress it up with exquisite toppings when for a fancy dinner.
Our Best and Most Popular Soup Recipes
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup. This easy, delicious, vegan roasted butternut squash soup sums up the taste of the holidays in one spoon. Rosemary, sage and thyme, need I say more? Serve with delicious crusty bread on the side.
- Minestrone Soup. Minestrone soup is a hearty, healthy, nourishing, and delicious classic Italian soup, packed with vegetables and pasta simmered in a rich tomato broth. Serve it with Italian Breadsticks.
- Lemon Asparagus Soup with Parmesan. Lemon asparagus soup with parmesan is the perfect spring soup -- smooth, light, fresh, and flavourful. It's customizable and can be served hot or cold. Serve with Sourdough Discard Crackers.
- Chicken Noodle Soup. Homemade chicken noodle soup is classic, comforting, simple, quick, and easy to make at home. Plus, you can use leftover rotisserie chicken to save time.
- Hamburger Soup with Macaroni. Hamburger soup with macaroni is a quick and easy weeknight dinner that‘s wholesome, filling, comforting and nutritious. Prep, cook and serve under an hour.
- Creamy Tortellini Soup with Sausage. Hearty and creamy tortellini soup with sausage, spinach and kale is total comfort food in a bowl. Make this flavourful one pot meal in under 30 minutes.
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup. Smooth, hearty and light, one pot lemon chicken orzo soup is pure comfort in a bowl. This family favourite is like chicken noodle soup with a major upgrade.
- Creamy Mexican Corn Soup. This vegetarian, hearty and filling, creamy Mexican corn soup is dense, bright, and full of flavour! It has all the warm and cozy vibes written all over it. Serve it with our favorite delicious Mexican dishes.
- Creamy Vegan Ramen. Creamy vegan ramen is delicious, flavorful, and healthy comfort food, packed with nutrients that will give you an immunity boost. Ready in just 30 minutes!
Hearty Vegetarian Soups for Dinner
- Coconut Curry Lentil Soup. Indian-inspired, vegan, creamy coconut curry lentil soup is an easy and simple 30-minute pantry meal that is packed with spices for maximum flavour. Serve it as a soup or as a curry over some Coconut Rice.
- Vegetarian Mushroom Barley Soup. Wholesome hearty vegetarian mushroom barley soup is healthy, filling, and so delicious. This one pot meal is easy to make with just 10 minutes of prep.
- Vegetable Soup. Vegetable Soup is a hearty, vegan soup that is delicious, flavorful, and easy to make. It’s loaded with all kinds of veggies in a savory broth.
- Vegetarian Peanut Miso Ramen. Vegetarian peanut miso ramen with a creamy vegan soup base, is topped with noodles, vegetables, and a perfect soft-boiled egg. Make it in just 20 minutes.
- Broccoli Cheese Soup. Broccoli cheese soup is creamy, cozy, and delicious simmered in a buttery cheesy broth for the perfect blend of textures and flavors — comfort food goals.
- Borscht (Beet Soup). Ukrainian borscht soup is a vegan beet soup made with red beets and vegetables. It's nutritious, flavorful, delicious, easy to make, and freezer-friendly.
- Potato Corn Chowder. Potato Corn Chowder is rich, creamy, hearty, and delicious. Made with simple ingredients in 35 minutes, this vegetarian soup is perfect for a quick meal.
- White Bean Soup with Kale. White Bean Soup with Kale is a hearty and nourishing one-pot meal that is flavorful and easy. Make this healthy soup in 30 minutes using simple ingredients.
Chicken (or Turkey) Soup for the Soul Recipes
- Chicken Tortilla Soup. Hearty chicken tortilla soup is a delicious, wholesome and filling soup that you can make in about 30 minutes, packed with classic Mexican flavours.
- Turkey Wild Rice Soup. Wholesome hearty one pot leftover turkey wild rice soup can be adapted easily for chicken instead of turkey. It's the most comforting way to use any leftover chicken or a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
- White Chicken Chili. White chicken chili is an easy and delicious one pot meal made with shredded chicken, hearty veggies, and a creamy broth that's loaded with flavor.
- Chicken and Rice Soup. Chicken and rice soup is delicious, warm, cozy, and comforting feel-good meal that can warm you up on a chilly day. Easy to make in one pot.
- White Chicken Lasagna Soup. White chicken lasagna soup is a thick and creamy soup version of this classic Italian dish. It’s quick and easy to make in just 30 minutes.
- Healthy Miso Ramen with Chicken. It doesn't get any more cozier than a healthy miso ramen soup with chicken from the comfort of your own home. The vegan miso broth is what this ramen is all about. Seriously, weeknight dinners have never been tastier!
- Chicken Potato Soup. Chicken Potato Soup is cozy, hearty, and delicious — loaded with chicken, potatoes, veggies, and greens simmered in a creamy broth. Ready in 40 minutes.
- Creamy Turkey Orzo Soup. Warm and cozy, creamy turkey orzo soup is wholesome, hearty, filling, and flavorful. Make this delicious one pot meal using a rotisserie chicken instead in just 30 minutes.
- Turkey Potato Chowder. Leftover turkey potato chowder is a creamy, savory, and delicious soup that is loaded with holiday leftovers. Quick and easy, ready in under 30 minutes.
- Creamy Turkey Gnocchi Soup. Creamy turkey gnocchi soup is the ultimate comfort food — creamy, rich, and delicious, made with good carbs, clean protein, and veggies in 25 minutes.
Butternut Squash + Pumpkin Soup for Cozy Fall Vibes
- Roasted Butternut and Cauliflower Soup. Creamy roasted butternut squash and cauliflower soup has all the fall soup feels and is vegan and gluten-free. Plus, it's super easy to make in a sheet pan and then puree. Serve it with some quick and easy Green Onion Dinner Rolls or Skillet Dinner Rolls.
- 30-Minute Butternut Squash Soup. Quick and easy 30-minute butternut squash soup is simple yet packed with flavour, is naturally vegan and gluten-free, and can be made ahead of time. Serve it alongside some Rosemary Garlic Focaccia Bread or Cornbread Muffins for dipping.
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup. Instant pot butternut squash soup is the perfect fall dish to cook in your pressure cooker — warm, cozy, comforting, and creamy. Make in 15 minutes.
- Butternut Squash and Apple Soup with Toasted Croutons. Change up your butternut squash soup game with butternut squash and apple soup with toasted croutons. It’s got sweetness from apple and carrots, a kick from onions and curry powder, and it’s just all around comfort food… without the guilt!
- Coconut Curry Pumpkin Soup. Coconut curry pumpkin soup is a bowl of comfort with a kick. This soup comes together in less than 30 minutes using just a handful of ingredients with minimal prep.
- Creamy Pumpkin and Corn Chowder. If you haven't had this combo of flavours together, then you are in for a real treat. Creamy pumpkin and corn chowder is ready in under 30 minutes. It's the perfect fall vegetarian and gluten-free weeknight dinner. Serve it with a winter kale salad on the side.
- Carrot Pumpkin Soup. Bursting with flavour, this comforting, vegetarian carrot pumpkin soup is wholesome, nutritious and perfect to feed a whole family on a lazy fall night.
- Acorn Squash Soup. Roasted Acorn Squash Soup is smooth and velvety, packed with veggies, and loaded with fall flavor. Serve for a cozy lunch, dinner, or on Thanksgiving.
Hearty Meaty Soup and Chili
- Beef Cabbage Barley Soup. Hearty beef cabbage barley soup is wholesome, filling and flavourful. This one pot meal can be made ahead and is freezer-friendly. Prep it in 10 minutes.
- Creamy Ham and Potato Soup. Creamy ham and potato soup is hearty, filling, and so flavourful. This warm and cozy one pot meal is the easiest weeknight meal to make in just 25 minutes.
- Beef Taco Soup. Beef taco soup is a delicious take on tacos, transforming it into a hearty, wholesome, filling soup topped with all the taco fixings. Ready in 30 minutes.
- Split Pea Soup. Classic split pea soup is a wholesome, filling, and delicious one pot meal that will warm you up. It's hearty, flavorful, and is loaded with nutrients.
- Beef Wild Rice Soup. Creamy beef wild rice soup is savory, flavorful, and delicious, packed with vegetables and beef flank steak (or leftover roast beef!), and freezes well.
- Lasagna Soup. Lasagna soup is a twist on a classic Italian recipe with all the same delicious comforting flavors in the form of a hearty one pot soup.
- Pot Roast Soup. This easy Pot Roast Soup is made in 30 minutes with leftover beef and veggies simmered in broth. It’s hearty, flavorful, and nourishing comfort food.
- Slow Cooker Beef Chili. Hearty slow cooker beef chili is an easy, comforting, low-maintenance dinner in fall and winter months. It's a family favourite crockpot chili.
- Ground Turkey Soup. Ground Turkey Soup is hearty, nourishing, and healthy. Loaded with protein and veggies, this Italian soup is packed with flavor and is super filling.
Silky and Smooth Vegetarian Soup
- Sweet Potato Soup. One pot sweet potato soup is super silky, creamy and vegan, and packed with fall flavours. Make this quick and easy fall and winter soup in 30 minutes. Serve with some Rosemary Cornbread or Pumpkin Dinner Rolls on the side.
- Artichoke Soup. Creamy artichoke soup is rich, healthy, delicious, easy to make, and freezer-friendly. This vegetarian soup is loaded with artichokes, leeks, and potatoes.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup. Cream of mushroom soup is thick, creamy, and comforting. This delicious one pot soup is easy to make in 45 minutes, freezer-friendly, and reheats well.
- Creamy Cauliflower and Garlic Soup. A handful of ingredients and a few simple steps makes creamy cauliflower and garlic soup one of the easiest and tastiest soups ever.
- Cheesy Potato Soup. Cheesy Potato Soup is creamy, delicious, and comforting. This recipe takes everyday ingredients and transforms them in 30 minutes to a rich, luscious soup.
- Roasted Carrot and Ginger Soup. Smooth, rich and velvety roasted carrot and ginger soup is the perfect vegetarian soup -- flavourful, healthy, and super easy to make in about 30 minutes. Serve it with small batch sourdough bread.
- Light Cream of Broccoli Soup. Delicious and flavourful, light cream of broccoli soup is a silky smooth, creamy, and thick soup made healthier with no cream. Make it in under 25 minutes.
- Mashed Potato Soup. Mashed potato soup is one of the best ways to use up leftover mashed potatoes. It’s creamy, cheesy, delicious, and ready in under 30 minutes.
- Pinto Bean Soup (Sopa Tarasca). Spice up your weeknight dinners with Mexican Pinto Bean Soup (Sopa Tarasca) made with creamy pinto beans, spicy chipotle, and a tomato broth in 30 minutes.
- Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup. Nothing says comfort food like a bowl of slow cooker loaded baked potato soup topped with cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon and green onions. Literally throw your ingredients into the slow cooker and come back to a fully cooked soup a few hours later.
Summer and Spring Soups with Fresh Flavors
- Tomato Basil Soup. Homemade tomato basil soup is comforting, rich, and smooth. This cozy soup is easy, flavourful, and nourishing, making it so much better than canned.
- Creamless Cream of Asparagus Soup. Take advantage of in-season asparagus this spring and savour its flavour in a delicious and smooth, creamless cream of asparagus soup.
- Lobster Bisque. Homemade lobster bisque is rich and creamy, loaded with seafood flavor, and delicious. Serve this quick and easy soup with soft bread for lunch or dinner.
- Creamy Tomato Potato Soup. Make this silky smooth and creamy tomato potato soup in under 25 minutes. This gluten-free vegan soup is healthy and filling and the easiest weeknight meal.
- Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup. Roasted red pepper and tomato soup is silky smooth, incredibly flavorful and delicious, and easy to make. This vegan soup is healthy and nutritious too.
- Spinach and Green Pea Soup. The greenest and most vibrant spinach and green pea soup is extremely healthy, nutrient-dense and packed with flavour. Make a pot of this soup today.
Asian-Style Soups that are Better than Takeout
- Chinese Hot Pot at Home. Chinese hot pot at home is a warm, comforting social meal to enjoy with family or a small group of friends for Chinese New Year. It's delicious, easy to prepare, and customizable.
- Creamy Vegan Ramen. Creamy vegan ramen is delicious, flavorful, and healthy comfort food, packed with nutrients that will give you an immunity boost. Ready in just 30 minutes!
- Quick and Easy Vegetarian Ramen. Put down that cup of instant noodles and make fresh, quick and easy vegetarian ramen in 15 minutes with fresh vegetables, noodles and authentic flavours. You might never go back to packaged ramen again.
- Creamy Chinese-Style Borscht Soup. Creamy and hearty Chinese-style borscht soup is loaded with carrots, potatoes, cabbage, and ham AND is both gluten-free and dairy-free. Serve it with Green Onion Dinner Rolls
- Coconut Curry Ramen. This Coconut Curry Ramen is creamy, rich, comforting, and delicious, with a perfect blend of mouthwatering textures and flavors and ready in 25 minutes.
- One Pot Thai Red Curry Noodle Soup. This gluten-free, one pot Thai red curry noodle soup is so flavourful and packed with shrimp, vermicelli rice noodles, fresh herbs, lime juice + fish sauce.
- Shanghai Style Wonton Soup. This easy, better than takeout, 10-minute Shanghai style wonton soup is the perfect soup to make for one person and is packed with classic Asian flavours.
- Slow Cooker Asian Beef Noodle Soup. An easy weeknight dinner option, this hearty and oily slow cooker Asian beef noodle soup is packed with beef chunks, vegetables, noodles, and Asian spices and flavours.
- 10-Minute Wonton Soup. Easy 10-Minute Wonton Soup: Learn how to make easy 10-minute wonton soup, using just a handful of delicious ingredients.
How to Serve Soup
- Garlic Breadsticks
- Rosemary Garlic Focaccia Bread
- Homemade Biscuits
- Cheesy Garlic Dinner Rolls
- Tomato Focaccia Bread
- Sourdough Crackers with Sesame Seeds
- Cornmeal Cheddar Biscuits
How to Store and Freeze Soup
Store any of these soup recipes (except for the ramen) can easily be made ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. For ramen, I recommend only serving it fresh as the noodles will start to disintegrate if stored for more than a day.
To make any of these soups ahead of time, you can also just prep the ingredients in advance. That can mean chopping up vegetables or mixing ingredients together and storing until ready to cook. Store all the prepared ingredients in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
Did You Make Any of These Soup Recipes?
Please leave a comment and rating below, and let me know what you thought of this round up of the best soup recipes. Be sure to snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.Print
Over 60 best popular soup recipes including vegetarian soup, chicken soup, squash fall soup, meaty soup, chili, summery soup, and soups better than takeout. This hearty and creamy tortellini soup with sausage, spinach and kale is total comfort food in a bowl. Make this flavourful one pot meal in under 30 minutes.
- ½ pound Italian sausage
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (24 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 package (9 oz.) cheese tortellini
- ½ cup heavy cream (or half and half cream)
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ½ cup kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot for 2 minutes over medium high heat until the hot oil sizzles and shimmers. Add sausage and stir to cook for 5-7 minutes until browned. Break the sausages into small pieces using a spatula.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté until tender. Stir well to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in flour until well combined, about 1 minute. Then, pour in tomato sauce. Turn the heat down to medium and stir well to combine. Bring the sauce to a simmer. Turn to low heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook until tender, about 8-10 mins according to package directions. Stir occasionally to cook evenly. If the texture of the soup is too thick, add in some water or chicken stock.
- Add heavy cream and stir well to mix. Make sure the heat is on low and stir well to achieve a smooth creamy consistency. You should notice the soup turn into a creamy orange colour after adding heavy cream. Add in spinach and kale. Cook for 1 minute until soft.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh parsley on top and serve warm.
How to store: Store the soup in the pot (covered) or transfer to an airtight container, and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How to freeze: Transfer soup to an airtight container and freeze in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator or for a few hours at room temperature on the kitchen counter. Then, reheat on the stove over medium-low heat and serve with fresh parsley on top.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: 60 best soup recipes, best soup recipes, soup recipes, easy soup recipes, how to make soup, homemade soup