My newest favourite pumpkin soup hands down is this creamy pumpkin and corn chowder, bursting with fall flavours. Plus, it doesn't hurt that it's vegetarian, gluten-free and ready in under 30 minutes. Hello weeknight dinner!
This soup is just what I crave on a cold fall day. It is packed with pumpkins and sweet corn (obviously) and potatoes, which is where it gets its creaminess from. I've also topped it up with a drizzle of milk, some pine nuts and rosemary. Seriously guys, I am convinced this may become your new favourite pumpkin soup too.
What are the Benefits of Eating Pumpkin?
Well, this one is easy. (A) it's delicious, (B) it's in season, and (C) it's got a plethora of amazing health benefits. For instance, pumpkin boost immunity, it helps burn fat, it protects your eyes, and is beneficial for your heart health.
Serve this pumpkin and corn chowder with a side of quick and easy dinner rolls to dip and soak up all that delicious, creamy soup... so yes, dip away!
Creamy Pumpkin and Corn Chowder
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
Bursting with fall flavours, creamy pumpkin and corn chowder is ready in under 30 minutes! It's the perfect vegetarian and gluten-free weeknight dinner.
- 1 small Japanese pumpkin (Kent pumpkin)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or other vegetable oil)
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 cup sweet corn, thawed if from frozen
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or miso paste)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups water, divided
- ½ cup full-fat milk (homogenized milk)
- ½ medium potato, cubed into ½-inch pieces
- pine nuts (for garnish)
- rosemary (for garnish)
- Place a whole pumpkin in a steamer and cook for 10 minutes. This will help to soften and peel off the skin. Cut pumpkin in half and remove all the seeds using a spoon. Cut the pumpkin into strips and remove the skin. Transfer pumpkin to a food processor or mash it manually using a fork or spatula.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add in onion, sweet corn, soy sauce (or miso paste), and black pepper. Stir to mix well.
- Pour in 3 cups water and bring to a boil. Then, turn the heat down to medium-low and add in mashed pumpkin, milk, and salt. Bring to a simmer.
- Turn the heat down to low and add one cup of water. Add potato; potato helps thicken the soup creating a creamy texture. Stir occasionally until the potato softens and almost melts in the soup, approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve soup in a bowl and garnish with a drizzle of milk, sprinkled pine nuts and rosemary.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
Hello weeknight dinner indeed, this came together so quickly and the flavours were so perfect! Definitely a keeper
Sam | Ahead of Thyme says
So glad you liked the recipe! Thank you!
Kiki Johnson says
So, I love both pumpkin soup and corn chowder - how can this not be my new favorite fall dinner? Looks so creamy and I would love the chewy corn in there! YUM! Such a great idea!
Sam | Ahead of Thyme says
Hehehe, I couldn't have said it better myself! Let me know if this soup becomes your new favourite!