Bursting with fall flavours, creamy pumpkin and corn chowder is ready in under 30 minutes! It's the perfect vegetarian and gluten-free weeknight dinner.
- 1 small Japanese pumpkin (Kent pumpkin)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup sweet corn, thawed if from frozen
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or miso paste)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup full-fat milk (homogenized milk)
- 1/2 medium potato, cubed into 1/2-inch pieces
- pine nuts (for garnish)
- rosemary (for garnish)
- Place a whole pumpkin in a steamer and cook for 10 minutes. This will help to soften and peel off the skin. Cut pumpkin in half and remove all the seeds using a spoon. Cut the pumpkin into strips and remove the skin. Transfer pumpkin to a food processor or mash it manually using a fork or spatula.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add in onion, sweet corn, soy sauce (or miso paste), and black pepper. Stir to mix well.
- Pour in 3 cups water and bring to a boil. Then, turn the heat down to medium-low and add in mashed pumpkin, milk, and salt. Bring to a simmer.
- Turn the heat down to low and add one cup of water. Add potato; potato helps thicken the soup creating a creamy texture. Stir occasionally until the potato softens and almost melts in the soup, approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve soup in a bowl and garnish with a drizzle of milk, sprinkled pine nuts and rosemary.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup