The greenest and most vibrant thing that I have cooked in a while has arrived. It's called spinach and green pea soup. Extremely healthy (obviously), yet so so delicious!
Soups are kind of a staple in our home. I am obsessed with soup for several reasons:
- comfort food!
- can be made a day or two ahead
- are usually one pot recipes
- can eat for lunch or dinner
- can serve casually at home on a rainy day or can dress it up with exquisite toppings when for a fancy dinner
I could go on and on!
This spinach and green pea soup is packed with green goodness. I mean isn't it obvious? The two main ingredients are spinach and green peas. A two-cup serving of spinach extremely nutrient-dense and has only 82 calories! It is a great source of iron, folic acid, vitamin K, and vitamin C. Green peas are also bursting with B vitamins, a variety of minerals, and protein.
And it is not just the spinach and green peas that go oh so well together. All the ingredients in this soup were kind of made for each other. The curry and chilli powder provide a little kick which livens up the subtle flavours of the peas and spinach, while the coconut cream provides a rich, smooth contrast to the hearty peas and spinach.
For something packed with this much flavour, you will be surprised at how easy it is to make. It is one of the easiest soups to make. One pot check. Under 20 minutes to cook check. You do not even have to defrost any peas first! So go ahead and double up or triple up this recipe, since you are bound to grab seconds!
Serve this soup warm or if you have leftovers (yeah right!) you can even serve this soup cold, right out of the fridge. Enjoy!
The greenest and most vibrant spinach and green pea soup is extremely healthy, nutrient-dense and packed with flavour. Make a pot of this soup today!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- ⅔ cup canned coconut milk (only white creamy part)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon green peas
- baby spinach leaves
- Heat coconut oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add chopped onion and garlic, and fry for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add green peas and fry for another 2-3 minutes. Then add coconut milk and chicken stock. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat, add spinach and cilantro. Puree soup using an immersion blender or food processor until smooth and creamy. Season with sweet paprika, curry, and chilli powders. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the soup between two serving bowls. Top up with a swirl of coconut milk, some spinach leaves and a few green peas. You can even add more chilli powder for a bit of a kick. Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American