Carrot soups tend to be a little boring but when you roast the carrots first and add a kick of ginger, you will experience a transformation right before your eyes. A transformation into a smooth, rich and velvety roasted carrot and ginger soup. It is full of flavour, healthy, and super easy to make. In other words, perfect.
Roasted carrot and ginger soup is the perfect soup to serve pretty much any time of year. It one of our favourites during the fall and winter, and it still finds its way onto our dinner table in the spring. You know, those days in between the sunshine, when it is cold out and the skies are grey.
What is in Carrot and Ginger Soup?
The obvious ingredients are carrot and ginger, but you will also need a few other pantry and refrigerator staples. Here is what you will need:
- garlic and herb roasted carrots - I've linked the recipe, which yields the best results, but you could use any similar leftover roasted carrots that you have made
- vegetable broth
- half and half cream
- salt and pepper
How to Cook Roasted Carrot and Ginger Soup
The best part about this soup is that it is soo easy to whip up. You literally throw your ingredients into a large pot, cook, puree and serve. Yes, it is that easy.
- Prepare a batch of garlic and herb roasted carrots. Chop them up and set aside.
- In a large pot, sauté the onions and add ginger. Add chopped garlic and herb roasted carrots and vegetable broth. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Puree soup and stir in cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Follow along the recipe video below to see me make this in action.
Smooth, rich and velvety roasted carrot and ginger soup is the perfect vegetarian soup -- flavourful, healthy, and super easy to make in about 30 minutes.
- 3 cups garlic and herb roasted carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 + 1/2 cups half and half cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Pumpkin seeds
- Ground black pepper
- Make a batch of garlic and herb roasted carrots. Chop up carrots and set aside.
- Melt butter in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft and tender. Stir in ginger and cook for another minute. Add roasted carrots and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Puree soup in a food processor or immersion blender. Pour soup back into pot and stir in the cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to serving bowls and garnish with cream, pumpkin seeds and ground black pepper.
- To thin out the consistency of the soup, add some water. To thicken it, continue to simmer until you get the desired consistency.
- Category: Soup
Keywords: carrot soup, ginger soup, vegetarian soup