Arugula and roasted carrot salad is one of my favourite spring salads. It's a delicious and stunning salad that is packed with an amazing combination of sweet and sour flavours that balance each other out including spicy arugula, sweet roasted carrots, creamy feta cheese, sour lemon juice, and pine nuts. It's a light meal option that is sure to impress. Plus, it's a great way to use up any leftover roasted carrots that you might have on hand. Serve this quick and easy salad for lunch or dinner this season.
You know it’s spring when all the carrot recipes start to come out. And what's not to love? I can have carrot-heavy dishes ranging all season long. Some of my favourites are Roasted Carrot and Ginger Soup, Roasted Spring Vegetables, Carrot Cake Shortbread Cookies, and Spiced Carrot Muffins.
Ingredients in Roasted Carrot Salad
To make this easy arugula and roasted carrot salad, you will need the following ingredients:
- roasted carrots - This a great recipe to use up any leftover roasted carrots that you have such as Garlic and Herb-Roasted Carrots, Honey Roasted Carrots or Maple Roasted Carrots. You can also prepare the carrots fresh by drizzling baby carrots with some olive oil and seasoning with salt and pepper on a large sheet pan. Bake in a 400F preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until fork tender.
- arugula - I love the combination of sweet carrots with spicy arugula, they really balance each other out. You can also substitute the arugula with any mixed greens that you would like.
- feta cheese - I have also made this salad with goat cheese, either option works great and is a personal preference.
- pine nuts - Feel free to substitute with any other nuts that you have. Toasted sunflower seeds or sliced almonds are great options.
- salad dressing - this salad is tossed in a simple dressing made with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
How to Make the Best Arugula and Roasted Carrot Salad
This salad is super easy to make. All you do is combine your ingredients into a serving plate or mixing bowl. Stir together the dressing ingredients and pour onto the salad. Then toss to combine and serve.
You can either place your carrots whole onto the tossed salad, or chop them up and toss together.
Tips and Tricks
- How to serve. Serve this salad pretty much any time of day. It works brilliantly as a starter for a relaxed dinner party or a light lunch with friends. I also like to serve some toasted baguettes or other crusty bread alongside this hearty salad.
- Make ahead instructions. If not using leftover roasted carrots, you can roast the carrots 1-2 days ahead of time. Allow the carrots to cool to room temperature and then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Assemble the salad when ready to serve.
- Use grilled carrots. Another great way to cook the carrots, especially if you are experiencing warmer weather is to grill them. Drizzle the carrots with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Then grill on both sides for 5-6 minutes until golden.
- How to customize. If making the roasted carrots fresh, rather than using leftovers, then you can go completely versatile with the seasoning on them. Go wild and experiment with flavours like garlic, chilli, cumin, thyme or dried sumac and roast until they're fragrant and caramelized.
More Salad Recipes
- Chopped Asparagus Salad
- Mediterranean Chickpea Wedge Salad
- Spring Pesto Pasta Salad with Asparagus
- The Best Greek Salad
- Mediterranean Orzo Pasta Salad
- Persian Shirazi Salad with Cucumber and Tomatoes
- Chinese Garlic Cucumber Salad
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.