Are you a fan of carrot cake? Then you will be a fan of spiced carrot muffins! I’ve lightened up the recipe (and left off the heavy cream cheese frosting) to bring you a warm, spice-filled muffin that will satisfy even your strongest cravings. They’re light, chewy, and obviously full of carrots which means your breakfast this week is kind of sort of healthy! 🙂
What are in Spiced Carrot Cake Muffins?
- all-purpose flour - adds substance
- baking powder and baking soda - adds lift
- cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, salt - adds flavour and balances the sweetness
- eggs - adds flavour, lift and structure
- vegetable oil - keeps the muffins moist
- vanilla extract - adds flavour
- brown sugar - adds flavour and texture
- buttermilk - thins out the batter (can substitute this with 1 cup heavy cream + juice of 1/4 of a lemon)
- grated carrots - adds flavour. Note that you can grate the carrots manually or in a food processor, or make your life even easier by buying a bag at the store. Use up any remaining carrots from the bag into a weeknight salad or soup, but honestly you might be better off DOUBLING this recipe because the muffins are that good!
How to Make Spiced Carrot Cake Muffins
Carrot muffins are super easy and straightforward to make. You sift the dry ingredients together, then whisk the wet ingredients together. Then, pour the dry ingredients into the wet ones and stir. Fold in the grated carrots. Scoop the batter into a muffin tray, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. So so easy!
These muffins are so satisfying and just perfect fresh from the oven. But if I’m not eating them until the next day, I like to slice them in half, throw them on a griddle to heat them up, and serve with a little slab of butter. So incredibly delicious. A must make!Print
Are you a fan of carrot cake? Then you will be a fan of these warm, lightened up, spiced carrot muffins which will satisfy even your strongest cravings!
- 2 + 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 + 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature (or 1 cup heavy cream + juice of 1/4 of a lemon)
- 1 + 1/2 cups carrots, grated
- Preheat oven to 375 F. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, vanilla, brown sugar, and buttermilk (or heavy cream with lemon juice). Pour dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir with a spatula until most of the flour is mixed in. Add grated carrots and fold in until just combined.
- Line a muffin tin with muffin liners or spray the inside with nonstick baking spray. Spoon enough batter into each mold so they are 90% full. Bake on a rack in the top third of your oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
You can add raisins or chopped walnuts (1/4 cup each) at the same time as carrots if desired.
- Category: Baked Goods
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: carrot muffins, carrot cake muffins, carrot cake, spiced carrot muffins, healthy carrot muffins