Are you a fan of carrot cake? Then you will be a fan of spiced carrot muffins! I’ve lightened up the recipe (and left off the heavy cream cheese frosting) to bring you a warm, spice-filled muffin that will satisfy even your strongest cravings. They’re light, chewy, and obviously full of carrots which means your breakfast this week is kind of sort of healthy! 🙂
What are in Spiced Carrot Cake Muffins?
- all-purpose flour - adds substance
- baking powder and baking soda - adds lift
- cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, salt - adds flavour and balances the sweetness
- eggs - adds flavour, lift and structure
- vegetable oil - keeps the muffins moist
- vanilla extract - adds flavour
- brown sugar - adds flavour and texture
- buttermilk - thins out the batter (can substitute this with 1 cup heavy cream + juice of ¼ of a lemon)
- grated carrots - adds flavour. Note that you can grate the carrots manually or in a food processor, or make your life even easier by buying a bag at the store. Use up any remaining carrots from the bag into a weeknight salad or soup, but honestly you might be better off DOUBLING this recipe because the muffins are that good!
How to Make the Best Spiced Carrot Cake Muffins
Carrot muffins are super easy and straightforward to make. You sift the dry ingredients together, then whisk the wet ingredients together. Then, pour the dry ingredients into the wet ones and stir. Fold in the grated carrots. Scoop the batter into a muffin tray, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. So so easy!
These muffins are so satisfying and just perfect fresh from the oven. But if I’m not eating them until the next day, I like to slice them in half, throw them on a griddle to heat them up, and serve with a little slab of butter. So incredibly delicious. A must make!
More Muffin Recipes
- Spiced Apple Oatmeal Muffins with Crumb Topping
- Blueberry Yogurt Muffins
- Gingerbread Muffins with Vanilla Bean Glaze
- Leftover Cranberry Sauce Muffins with Oat Streusel Topping
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.