Fluffy, soft and moist, these are the best banana chocolate chip muffins ever. This is a super easy one bowl recipe that you can prep in less than 10 minutes with a few simple pantry staples. Plus, this is a one bowl recipe that requires no fancy equipment is required, just a spatula or spoon, which means less mess to clean up. Make a batch and watch them disappear before your very eyes, or make a big batch and freeze them for later. They are that good.
What I love about these muffins is that they have just the right amount of sweetness from the bananas and chocolate chips. I mean, is there really any better combination than banana and chocolate? I think not. They are amazing when thrown together in a muffin like this or in cookies like my chocolate chip banana bread cookies.
But you have options here and you can choose to cut down the amount of chocolate chips in half or switch it up for some pecans or walnuts and you still have a pretty amazing muffin that you can enjoy for breakfast, as a snack or dessert.
Ingredients in Banana Muffins
To make these easy one bowl banana muffins, you will need:
- ripe bananas - I used 3 medium bananas, or 1 cup mashed.
- vegetable oil
- large egg
- milk - I use whole milk, but any kind of milk works.
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- chocolate chips or chunks
How to Make the Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins
It is so easy to make these muffins in one large mixing bowl. First, mash the bananas in the bowl using a fork. Then, add the vegetable oil, egg, milk, vanilla and sugar and whisk together. Add in the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir with a spatula until just combined (do not overmix). Fold in the chocolate chips.
Divide the mixture into a lined 12-tin muffin pan using a medium cookie scoop. Fill each slot about ¾ full (up to full). Bake in a 350F preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until the edges are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer them onto a wire cooling rack to cool down.
Tips and Tricks
- How to fill muffin liners: The key to the perfect rise is to fill the muffin liners at least ¾ of the way full. You will get about 14-16 muffins. I sometimes fill them all the way full to get exactly 12 muffins out of the batter, and will adjust the bake time by a few minutes.
- How to store: Freshly baked chocolate chip muffins can be stored at room temperature, covered with a dish towel, for up to 2 days. You can also store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- How to freeze: Once baked and cooled, freeze these banana muffins for up to 3 months in a freezer bag or airtight container. To eat, first let them thaw first at room temperature or in the refrigerator. You can eat as is, or warmed them up in the microwave, oven or air fryer.
- How to make jumbo muffins: To make 6 jumbo muffins, bake for 24-27 minutes until tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
More Banana Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Cookies
- Nutty Banana Bread
- Banana Toast with Granola and Honey
- Majoon Banana and Date Smoothie
- 5-Minute Super Berry Smoothie Bowl
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.
This recipe was originally posted in 2015. It has been completely updated with new photographs and helpful tips.Print