Chopped asparagus salad is the best spring salad ever. It is colourful, vibrant, flavourful, light, and crunchy -- all the best characteristics of the perfect salad. This salad is easy to throw together with a few vegetables, a delicious lemon vinaigrette, and less than 10 minutes to prep. Serve it as a main course for lunch with some added protein, or on the side of a fresh spring entree. It's seriously so simple but SO good.
Spring is probably my favourite season of all. So when I start to see asparagus pile up at my local grocery store, I get super excited and so many bunches that my family gets sick of asparagus by the time I get to the last bunch. This chopped asparagus salad is one of the easiest way to enjoy some asparagus this season.
Some of my other favourite ways to cook with asparagus are in Creamless Cream of Asparagus Soup, Spring Pesto Pasta with Asparagus, Air Fryer Asparagus, and Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus and Cantaloupe Bundles.
Asparagus Salad Ingredients
To make this easy chopped asparagus salad, you will need the following ingredients:
- asparagus - You need about half bunch of asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces.
- mixed greens - You can use any greens that you like -- romaine, spinach, arugula, or a simple bag of mixed greens.
- chickpeas - I used a 15 oz. can of chickpeas. You will need to rinse and drain them before adding them to the salad.
- grape tomatoes - You can also use cherry tomatoes sliced in half. If you only have regular tomatoes on hand, cut them into 1-inch pieces.
- Persian cucumbers - These are my favourite cucumbers to use in this salad. You can also use a different type of cucumber, just cut them into 1-inch pieces.
- red onion
- kalamata olives
- feta cheese
- lemon vinaigrette dressing - The dressing is essentially the same dressing as in a Greek salad. It is made with olive oil, lemon juice, dried oregano (can use Italian seasoning instead), salt, and pepper.
You will also need a medium pot and mixing bowl.
How to Make the Best Chopped Asparagus Salad
- Cook the asparagus. Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil and add asparagus. Cook for 2 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl of ice water. Let cool, then drain.
- Assemble salad. In a large bowl, combine mixed greens, asparagus chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, cucumber, olives and feta cheese.
- Add dressing. In a small bowl, make the dressing by whisking together olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper. Pour dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Add more salt and black pepper to taste.
Tips and Tricks
- Blanch cook the asparagus. Make sure to blanch cook the asparagus for 2 minutes only, then immediately immerse them in ice water to stop the cooking process. This will ensure that the asparagus retains its crunch instead of getting too soft and limp.
- Add protein. You can make a complete meal out of this salad by adding in some protein. Some great options to add are shredded chicken, grilled shrimp, salmon, hard-boiled eggs, or tuna.
- How to serve. Chopped asparagus salad is the perfect side to a spring entree, or as a side dish on an Easter holiday menu.
More Salad Recipes
- Mediterranean Chickpea Wedge Salad
- The Best Greek Salad
- Spring Pesto Pasta Salad with Asparagus
- Mediterranean Orzo Pasta Salad
- Persian Shirazi Salad with Cucumber and Tomatoes
- Chinese Garlic Cucumber Salad
- Mandarin Orange Salad
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.