Juicy, tender, and flavourful grilled cajun shrimp skewers are my new favourite summer meal. These prawn skewers are garlicky, lemony, beautifully charred and packed with flavour from the cajun seasoning in the marinade and the olive oil parsley mixture that we brush on top. The best part of all? It takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and make, and this includes the time it takes to marinate.
Ingredients in Cajun Shrimp Marinade
Cajun shrimp skewers are all about the marinade. To make this, you will the following ingredients:
- tiger prawns - or jumbo shrimp. You will need one pound, which is roughly 24 prawns. To prepare them, use scissors to cut through the shell along the back of the prawns, and remove the shells and tails. Rinse to remove the veins and pat dry with paper towel.
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- cajun spice - or Old Bay spice.
- Italian seasoning
- parsley - fresh parsley to add on top when grilling.
- lemon wedges - for serving.
How to Make the Best Grilled Cajun Shrimp Skewers
First marinate the prawns. Add the peeled and deveined prawns into a large bowl and add in a tablespoon olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, cajun spice, Italian seasoning, and paprika. Toss to combine and fully coat the prawns with the marinade. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes, up to 30 minutes.
Then, thread the marinated prawns onto skewers. Add 4 prawns on each skewer.
Lightly brush some olive oil over the grill pan. Preheat the grill over medium high heat for 3 minutes until the oil starts sizzling and shimmering. In a small bowl, combine remaining olive oil with finely chopped parsley. Set aside until ready to grill.
Place the skewers spaced evenly apart on the grill pan and grill for 3-4 minutes on each side or until the prawns turn completely orange. Brush the olive oil parsley mixture over the prawns during grilling.
Transfer to a plate and serve warm with some lemon wedges on the side. Sprinkle extra chopped parsley on top.
How to Cook Cajun Shrimp in the Air Fryer
How to Serve Cajun Shrimp Skewers
- Serve cajun shrimp on it's own as a snack or appetizer
- Serve it with a side of coconut rice or plain white rice. It is also really nice served on top of creamy mashed potatoes or cauliflower mash.
- Serve it in a salad. Try it with a Mediterranean orzo pasta salad or a summer corn salad.
- Serve it in shrimp tacos with lime crema slaw.
Tips for Making Shrimp Skewers
- Marinate the prawns. I recommend marinating the prawns for just 15 minutes and up to a maximum of 30 minutes. This is because of the acidic lemon juice in the marinade, which will actually start to "cook" the prawns. The same idea that makes ceviche work.
- Double up the recipe. This recipe that makes about 6 skewers. You can easily double or triple the recipe to feed a crowd (or if you just want to make sure you have leftovers for lunch the next day). Leftovers are amazing in a salad, and you don't even need to warm it up.
- How to store. Unthread the prawns from the skewers and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
More Shrimp Recipes
- Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo (coming soon)
- 10-Minute Seafood Fried Rice
- Stir-fried Rice Cakes with Shrimp
- Shrimp Tacos with Lima Crema Slaw
- Easy Grilled Shrimp Boil
- Shrimp Scampi with Zucchini Noodles
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.