It's officially taco season and we are kicking things off with shrimp tacos with lime crema slaw. These soft tortilla tacos are topped with crispy and tender shrimp seasoned with cumin, paprika, and garlic, a delicious cabbage and cilantro slaw, and a sour cream and lime juice crema sauce. It's the perfect summer weeknight meal, ready on your table in less than 30 minutes. Backyard patio, these tacos are waiting for you!
Ingredients in Shrimp Tacos with Lime Crema Slaw
If you love my fish tacos, then you will love these. Here is what you will need:
- shrimp - I used large white shrimp. Prepare the shrimp by peeling, deveining and removing the tails.
- seasoning for the shrimp - made with a combination of cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, lime juice, oil, and salt.
- lime crema slaw - made with a combination of shredded cabbage, cilantro, garlic, sour cream (or Greek yogurt), mayonnaise, lime juice, and salt. For the cabbage, you can use regular cabbage or purple cabbage. I used both.
- soft taco tortillas - corn tortillas or wheat tortillas. Use corn tortillas if you want to keep this dish gluten-free.
- toppings - I topped these tacos with avocado. You could also top it with guacamole or pineapple salsa.
How to Make the Best Shrimp Tacos
- Prepare the shrimp: In a medium bowl, combine shrimp, olive oil, lime juice, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, and salt. Toss to combine. Let it sit for a few minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. Then, cook in a 350 F air fryer for 13 minutes, shaking the basket halfway. See notes below on pan frying or grilling the shrimp instead.
- Make the lime crema slaw: In a small bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice, and salt. In a medium bowl, toss together cabbage, cilantro, and garlic. Pour in half the lime crema sauce into the slaw and toss to combine. Save the rest of the sauce to drizzle on top.
- Heat the soft tortillas: Heat the soft tortillas according to the package instructions, or heat in an ungreased skillet over medium heat for 30 seconds per side. You can also heat it directly on a gas burner for a few seconds to get char marks on the edges.
- Assemble the tacos: Add a spoonful of slaw to each taco, top with 4 shrimp, sliced avocado, and drizzle a spoonful of sauce on top. Serve with lime wedges on the side.
FAQ and Tips for Making Shrimp Tacos
- Are these tacos spicy? The cayenne powder adds a little kick. Adjust it to your preferences. Leave it out if you want the shrimp mild, or add more to increase the intensity.
- How do I pan-fry the shrimp instead? Heat some oil a large skillet and over medium heat. Add the seasoned shrimp and cook for 6-8 minutes until shrimp are pink cooked through.
- Can I grill the shrimp instead? Absolutely. Thread the seasoned shrimp onto skewers and place them on a grill over medium high heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until shrimp and pink and cooked through.
- Are these gluten-free? Yes, if you are using corn tortillas.
- How to serve shrimp tacos. Serve with a side of homemade guacamole or pico de gallo salsa for extra dipping.
More Taco Recipes
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.