Hearty beef cabbage barley soup is wholesome, filling and so flavourful. This one pot meal is packed with ground beef, fresh cabbage, and tender pearl barley and is pure comfort food. Make it with just 10 minutes of prep and leave it on the stove to simmer until ready. The best part? It's freezer-friendly, so you can make it ahead of time and freeze it for another day. It's the perfect meal to serve for lunch or dinner.
And the leftovers? They taste even better the next day. So go ahead and make a double or triple batch of this beef cabbage barley soup so that you have leftovers to eat all week or to freeze. And don't forget some crusty bread for dipping and soaking up all that soup. Some great bread to pair with this is pull apart garlic bread, rosemary garlic focaccia bread, or easy skillet dinner rolls. Some homemade no yeast biscuits also really hit the spot.
- ground beef - 1 lb. of ground beef.
- barley - the barley in this soup adds a nice texture. I used dry pearl barley, but you can also used hulled barley.
- olive oil
- bay leaves
- tomato sauce
- soy sauce
- miso paste - this adds a little flavour so that you don't need to season with any extra salt. If you don't have any miso paste, then add in salt and pepper, to taste.
- fresh parsley - optional, to garnish on top.
How to Make the Best Beef Cabbage Barley Soup
It is very simple to make this one pot beef cabbage barley soup. First, heat the olive oil in a medium-large cooking pot (I used my 4 qt. dutch oven) over medium high heat for 2 minutes until the hot oil is sizzling and shimmering. Add ground beef and stir well to cook for 5-7 minutes until browned.
Then, add onion and garlic. Stir well to combine and cook for 3-4 minutes until onions are soft and tender. Add cabbage, carrots, barley, and bay leaves. Stir well to combine and cook for another 2 minutes.
Add tomato sauce, soy sauce, miso paste and water. Stir well and bring the soup to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and cover. Simmer for 1 hour until the barley is soft and tripled in size. The barley be soft but still chewy.
Serve warm and garnish with fresh parsley.
How to Store
- Storing Instructions: Store beef cabbage barley soup in the pot (covered) or transfer to an airtight container, and store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Freezing Instructions: Transfer soup to an airtight container and freeze in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator or for a few hours at room temperature on the kitchen counter. Then, reheat on the stove and serve with garnish on top.
More Soup Recipes
- Vegetarian Mushroom Barley Soup
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy Mexican Corn Soup
- 30-Minute Butternut Squash Soup
- Sweet Potato Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup
This easy beef cabbage soup forms a part of my 25 warm and cozy fall soup recipes. Follow the link to check out all of my 25 fall favourite soups.
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.