Hearty chicken tortilla soup is a delicious, wholesome and filling soup that you can make in about 30 minutes. It's a tomato-based soup packed with chicken, vegetables, beans, and classic Mexican-inspired flavours. It's loaded with all the best toppings including tortilla chips, cilantro, sour cream, and avocado. This one pot meal is a quick and easy option to throw together on a busy weeknight and one that is loved by all. A true family favourite.
And the leftovers? They might even taste better the next day. You might as well make a double or triple batch just so that you can have leftovers all week (or freeze it for a rainy day!). You can serve this as a meal on it's own for lunch or dinner with a side of crusty bread for dipping or serve it as part of a complete Mexican-style fiesta. Some other items to include on your menu are: Fish Tacos with Lime Crema, Sheet Pan Nachos, Baked Chicken Quesadillas, and Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas.
Ingredients in Chicken Tortilla Soup
To make this delicious and hearty chicken tortilla soup, you will need the folling ingredients:
- olive oil
- chicken breasts - you will need 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips. You can also make this soup using leftover roast chicken or store-bought rotisserie chicken. Shred the chicken using a fork and add it in along with the onions, garlic, jalapeño and carrot (skipping step 2 where you cook the chicken).
- jalapeño pepper
- crushed tomatoes
- chicken broth
- black beans
- seasonings - salt, paprika, ground cumin, and crushed red pepper (optional, for extra spiciness).
For the toppings, you need tortilla chips, and all or a portion of the following toppings: fresh cilantro, lime, sour cream, avocado, and cheddar cheese (I used sharp white cheddar).
How to Make the Best Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Cook the chicken. In a medium stockpot (or 4 qt. Dutch oven), heat oil over medium-high heat for 2 minutes until the hot oil is sizzling hot. Add chicken and sauté until cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Break the chicken into smaller pieces using a wooden spatula.
- Add remaining ingredients. Add onions, garlic, jalapeño and carrot. Stir well to combine and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant. Stir in salt, paprika, cumin, and crushed red pepper (if using). Add canned tomatoes, chicken broth, black beans and corn. Stir occasionally and bring the soup to a boil, about 5 minutes.
- Simmer. Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve. Serve immediately in a soup bowl and top with tortilla chips, cilantro, lime, sour cream, avocado, and cheddar cheese, or any combination of these toppings that you like.
Storing and Freezing Instructions
- How to store: Store chicken tortilla soup still in the pot (covered with the lid) or transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- How to freeze: Once cooled, transfer any leftover chicken tortilla soup to an airtight container or portion them out into freezer bags and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, allow the soup to thaw overnight in the refrigerator or for a few hours at room temperature on the kitchen counter.
- How to reheat: Reheat on the stove over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes until warmed through. Serve it loaded up with your favourite toppings.
More Hearty Soup Recipes
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Beef Cabbage Barley Soup
- Healthy Miso Ramen with Chicken
- Creamy Turkey Orzo Soup
- Vegetarian Mushroom Barley Soup
- Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
- Creamy Mexican Corn Soup
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.