Creamy garlic shrimp is a delicious, quick and easy 15-minute meal (including prep!) that you need to include in your weeknight dinner meal plan. Juicy jumbo shrimp is seared and then tossed in a delicious, creamy and cheesy sauce that is just irresistible. It's a comforting seafood dinner than you can serve over a plate of pasta, rice, or mashed potatoes, or on its own with some crusty bread for some major dipping. This dish is pure comfort food goals.
Shrimp is a go-to for super fast meals because they cook so quickly. And if you know me, you know that I am all about the easy 30-minute dinners around here. But a 15-minute dinner, including prep, well that is just a no brainer. Some other inspo for quick 15-minute meals that you can throw together on a busy weeknight are: Cacio e Pepe Pasta, Spaghetti Carbonara, Neapolitan Margherita Skillet Pizza, and Seafood Fried Rice.
To make delicious creamy garlic shrimp, you will need the following ingredients:
- vegetable oil - for searing the shrimp.
- shrimp - I used 2 lbs. of jumbo shrimp, but you can use any kind shrimp or prawns. You also want to use shrimp that has been peeled, deveined, and tails removed. To prepare the shrimp, cut through the shell along the back with kitchen scissors. Remove the shells and tails, and rinse to remove the veins. Pat dry each shrimp completely with a paper towel.
- salt and pepper - to season the shrimp.
- white wine - can be left out or substituted with chicken broth, if desired.
- heavy cream
- Italian seasoning
- white cheddar cheese - you can substitute this with Parmesan, if desired.
- fresh parsley
How to Make the Best Creamy Garlic Shrimp
- Sear the shrimp. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat for 2 minutes until the hot oil is sizzling hot. Add shrimp and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side until they turn pink and are fully cooked through. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside on a plate.
- Make the sauce. Add butter and garlic to the same skillet and sauté until fragrant, about one minute. Then, add wine and stir well to combine, about one minute. Add heavy cream, Italian seasoning and white cheddar. Stir well and bring the sauce to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium and keep stirring until thickened to a desired consistency.
- Serve. Return the cooked shrimp to the skillet and toss well to coat. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately with pasta, rice, or mashed potatoes.
How to Serve Creamy Garlic Shrimp
Serve this creamy garlic shrimp over a plate of pasta, rice, mashed potatoes, garlic mashed cauliflower or on its own with some crusty bread for some major dipping. My favourite pasta to serve this over is something long and stringy like linguine, fettuccine or spaghetti.
To balance the meal, I like to serve this with some vegetables on the side such as Roasted Cauliflower, Roasted Garlic Green Beans, or Sautéed Garlic Mushrooms, or a light salad like Greek Salad or Mediterranean Chickpea Wedge Salad.
- How to store. Store creamy garlic shrimp in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- How to reheat: Reheat on the stove over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes until shrimp is warmed through, or in the microwave. The sauce may have thickened up in the refrigerator, so add a little water to thin out the sauce a bit until you achieve a desired consistency.
More Shrimp Recipes
- Baked Coconut Shrimp
- Air Fryer Jumbo Shrimp
- Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo Pasta Bake
- Shrimp Tacos with Lime Crema Slaw
- Tiger Prawns in Garlic Ginger Soy Sauce
- Vietnamese Salad Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Grilled Cajun Shrimp Skewers
- Easy Grilled Shrimp Boil
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.