It is officially the Year of the Rooster, which basically calls for a traditional Chinese dish. One of my absolute favourites is, of course, easy 10-minute wonton soup.
Last week, I shared my how-to recipe for my favourite type of wontons = chicken and cilantro wontons. Remember those little guys, and how cute they turned out when wrapped. Those same little guys that took almost an hour to wrap? Well, that hour went a long way because I currently have an endless supply in my freezer.
After all that hard work, a 10-minute soup is music to my ears. This is the easiest weeknight meal. It is filling and fulfilling. Seriously, put down the phone and put down that take-out menu. With a recipe this quick and easy, why bother with take-out?
10 minutes people. 10 minutes!!!
Vegetarian Wonton Soup
Make this soup vegetarian by using vegetarian wontons and vegetable stock.Print
Learn how to make easy 10-minute wonton soup, using just a handful of delicious ingredients.
- 8-12 wontons, fresh or frozen (I use chicken and cilantro wontons)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce (or regular soy sauce)
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon green onions, sliced
- In a small saucepan, bring chicken stock and 1 cup of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add wontons and salt. When the wontons float to the top, add a cup of cold water.
- Once wontons float to the top again, add soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Scoop wontons out into a bowl and top up with soup base. Garnish with cilantro and green onions. Enjoy!
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Chinese
How to Make Wontons
For this recipe, you need the key ingredient: wontons. Try making your own at home with my step-by-step chicken and cilantro wontons recipe.