Over 60 best popular soup recipes including vegetarian soup, chicken soup, squash fall soup, meaty soup, chili, summery soup, and soups better than takeout. This hearty and creamy tortellini soup with sausage, spinach and kale is total comfort food in a bowl. Make this flavourful one pot meal in under 30 minutes.
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (24 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 package (9 oz.) cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or half and half cream)
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/2 cup kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot for 2 minutes over medium high heat until the hot oil sizzles and shimmers. Add sausage and stir to cook for 5-7 minutes until browned. Break the sausages into small pieces using a spatula.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté until tender. Stir well to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in flour until well combined, about 1 minute. Then, pour in tomato sauce. Turn the heat down to medium and stir well to combine. Bring the sauce to a simmer. Turn to low heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook until tender, about 8-10 mins according to package directions. Stir occasionally to cook evenly. If the texture of the soup is too thick, add in some water or chicken stock.
- Add heavy cream and stir well to mix. Make sure the heat is on low and stir well to achieve a smooth creamy consistency. You should notice the soup turn into a creamy orange colour after adding heavy cream. Add in spinach and kale. Cook for 1 minute until soft.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh parsley on top and serve warm.
How to store: Store the soup in the pot (covered) or transfer to an airtight container, and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How to freeze: Transfer soup to an airtight container and freeze in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator or for a few hours at room temperature on the kitchen counter. Then, reheat on the stove over medium-low heat and serve with fresh parsley on top.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: 60 best soup recipes, best soup recipes, soup recipes, easy soup recipes, how to make soup, homemade soup