Light cream of broccoli soup is a silky smooth, creamy, thick and cozy soup that you can make in under 25 minutes including prep. This delicious and flavourful soup is gluten-free, packed with vegetables including broccoli, potatoes, onions, and it is made healthier and light with no cream. And, this easy weeknight dinner or lunch is effortless to make ahead and freeze for another day.
I love soups that are healthier for you or when a typically high-calorie soup is given a healthier twist. Some of my other healthier favourites include creamy tomato potato soup, creamless cream of asparagus soup, sweet potato soup, and roasted butternut squash soup.
Ingredients in Light Cream of Broccoli Soup
To make this light cream of broccoli soup, you will need the following ingredients:
- russet potato - this is what adds the bulk of creaminess to this soup.
- vegetable stock - I used vegetable stock to keep this soup vegetarian. You can also use chicken stock or beef stock if you prefer. I often use homemade bone broth when I have some on hand.
- broccoli florets
- whole milk - this also adds some creaminess and replaces the heavy cream that is typically used in cream of vegetable soups. This is what makes this soup "light". However, you may find after pureeing the soup that you don't need any milk at all. It is a personal preference.
- salt and pepper - to taste.
- for serving - I like to add a swirl or milk, some freshly cracked black pepper, and some shredded white cheddar cheese on top (optional). Feel free to substitute with any type of cheese on top, like Parmesan, asiago or gouda.
How to Make the Best Light Cream of Broccoli Soup
- Sauté vegetables. In a large pot (or 4 qt. Dutch oven), melt butter over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions, garlic and celery until the onions are soft and translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Then, add the potatoes and mix well to combine.
- Add stock. Add the vegetable stock and water. Bring to a simmer.
- Add broccoli and simmer. Add the broccoli and stir to combine. Turn the heat down to low, cover and continue to simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until the broccoli and potatoes are soft.
- Puree. Puree the soup directly in the pot using an immersion blender, or transfer the soup carefully into a blender or food processor and puree, and add it back into the pot. If using a blender, you may have to do this in a few batches.
- Stir in milk. Stir in the milk and continue to cook the soup on low heat for 2-3 more minutes. Add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve. Serve hot with shredded cheddar cheese on top.
How to Serve Broccoli Soup
Serve this light cream of broccoli soup with a side salad like easy Greek salad or Mediterranean orzo pasta salad, and some crusty bread for dipping, like pull apart garlic bread, easy no knead French baguettes or small batch sourdough bread.
Storing and Freezing Instructions
- How to store: Store this soup still in the pot (covered) in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or transfer the soup to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
- How to freeze: Transfer soup to an airtight container or portion out into freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight or on the kitchen counter.
- How to reheat: Reheat on the stove over medium-low heat for 5 minutes until warmed through. Serve with freshly shredded cheddar on top.
More Vegetarian Soup Recipes
- 30-Minute Butternut Squash Soup
- Sweet Potato Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy Mexican Corn Soup
- Vegetarian Mushroom Barley Soup
This easy light cream of broccoli soup forms a part of my top 25 most popular vegetarian soup recipes. Follow the link to check them all out.
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.
This recipe was first posted in 2016. It has been completely updated with new photographs and tips.