On a rainy day like today, all I am craving is a warm bowl of creamy soup. One of my favourites is cream of broccoli soup.
I love recipes that are (1) healthier for you or a healthier option of a high-calorie dish, and (2) quick and easy to make. So now you may have guessed why this soup is one of my favourites. It satisfies both of these categories!
Category 1: This soup is a healthier choice for a cream of broccoli soup, hence the name “light” cream of broccoli soup. The reason for this is because I have substituted the typically called for heavy cream in this dish with half and half cream. It may not eliminate all the calories but half and half is healthier than heavy cream. So it does make me feel a little less guilty about eating this creamy deliciousness!!
Category 2: This recipe is super quick and so easy to make. It takes less than 30 minutes from kitchen to dinner table. Yup, that includes the prep and the pureeing of the soup.
So how easy is this recipe? Well, let me give you a very brief summary of the steps to prove that I wasn’t lying! (For full recipe, scroll down below). I have included the time that it takes for each step in square brackets at the end of the step.
- Prep your vegetables. [5-10 MINUTES]
- Melt the butter and saute the onions, garlic and celery until the onions are soft and translucent. Then, add the potatoes and mix well. [5 MINUTES]
- Add the stock and water. If you are keeping this recipe vegetarian, then use vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer. Add the broccoli. [5 MINUTES]
- Turn the heat down to low and continue to simmer until the broccoli and potato are soft. [10 MINUTES]
- Puree the soup and add it back to the pot. [5 MINUTES]
- Add the cream and and some black pepper to taste. [2-3 MINUTES]
That, my friends, adds up to roughly 30 minutes. Told you that it’s easy! And you don’t need to be around for the 10 minutes that the soup is cooking.
Garnish: For the garnish, you can use any type of hard cheese that you like. The usual is cheddar cheese but my favourite is smoked Gouda cheese. That is what I chose for my garnish on this soup.Print
It’s easy to make creamy, thick and flavourful light cream of broccoli soup in your own home. Make it “light” today without heavy cream!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 russet potato, chopped
- 5 cups of chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 cup of water
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup half and half cream
- black pepper to taste
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional).
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Saute the onions, garlic and celery until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the potatoes and mix well.
- Add the chicken (or vegetable) stock and water. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the broccoli.
- Turn the heat down to low and continue to simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until the broccoli and potato are soft.
- Puree the soup in your food processor or blender and add it back to the pot.
- On low, add the cream and continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes. Add some black pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with shredded cheddar cheese on top.