It’s easy to make creamy, thick and flavourful light cream of broccoli soup in your own home. Make it “light” today without heavy cream!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 russet potato, chopped
- 4 cups of chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 cup of water
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup half and half cream
- black pepper to taste
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional).
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Saute the onions, garlic and celery until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the potatoes and mix well.
- Add the chicken (or vegetable) stock and water. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the broccoli and stir to combine.Turn the heat down to low, cover and continue to simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until the broccoli and potato are soft.
- Puree the soup using your blender or food processor and add it back to the pot.
- On low heat, add the cream and continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes. Add some black pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with shredded cheddar cheese on top.