Delicious and flavourful, light cream of broccoli soup is a silky smooth, creamy, and thick soup made healthier with no cream. Make it in under 25 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 rib of celery, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 large russet potato, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups of vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 cup of water
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- white cheddar cheese, shredded (optional, for serving)
- In a large pot (or 4 qt. Dutch oven), melt butter over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions, garlic and celery until the onions are soft and translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the potatoes and mix well to combine.
- Add the vegetable stock and water. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the broccoli and stir to combine. Turn the heat down to low, cover and continue to simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until the broccoli and potatoes are soft.
- Puree the soup directly in the pot using an immersion blender, or transfer the soup carefully into a blender or food processor. Puree the soup and add it back to the pot. If using a blender, you may have to do this in a few batches.
- Stir in the milk and continue to cook the soup on low heat for 2-3 more minutes. Add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with shredded cheddar cheese on top.
How to store: Store this soup still in the pot (covered) in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or transfer the soup to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
How to freeze: Transfer soup to an airtight container or portion out into freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight or on the kitchen counter.
How to reheat: Reheat on the stove over medium-low heat for 5 minutes until warmed through. Serve with freshly shredded cheddar on top.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: light cream of broccoli soup, cream of broccoli soup with no cream, broccoli soup, healthy broccoli soup, vegetarian soup