Creamy ham and potato soup is hearty, filling, and so flavourful. This warm and cozy one pot meal is packed with delicious ham, creamy potatoes, and sweet corn, and served with some crispy bacon on top. It's the easiest weeknight meal to make in just 25 minutes. Plus, it's freezer-friendly so make a big batch ahead of time and freeze any leftovers for another day. So easy.
This creamy ham and potato soup is an excellent way to use any leftover ham after a holiday meal. Serve it with a some crusty bread for dunking. Some of my favourite bread to pair with this are easy ciabatta rolls, pull apart garlic bread, rosemary garlic focaccia bread, or homemade no yeast biscuits.
- all-purpose flour
- chicken broth
- cooked ham - this recipe is a great way of using leftover holiday glazed baked ham.
- corn - I used frozen corn.
- heavy cream
- ground black pepper
- salt - I did not need to add any because the cooked ham and chicken broth contains sufficient sodium. Add salt to taste.
- fresh parsley - optional, for serving on top.
How to Make the Best Ham and Potato Soup
- Cook the bacon. Sauté bacon in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium high heat (no cooking oil needed) until crisp, about 3-4 minutes. Set the bacon aside on a plate.
- Make the bulk of the soup. Add onion and potatoes and sauté for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Stir in flour and mix well to combine until flour is fully incorporated. Stir in chicken broth and mix until the soup is smooth and uniform. Bring the soup to a boil over medium high heat. Cover and let it continue to boil for 10-15 minutes until potatoes are fork tender (if you can easily insert a fork into the potatoes, then it is fork tender).
- Mash half the soup. Mash half of the potatoes in the pot with a potato masher or blend with a handheld immersion blender. Mashing the potatoes help thicken the soup.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Stir in ham, corn, heavy cream and black pepper. Let the soup simmer over medium heat and whisk occasionally until thickened to a desired consistency, about 5 minutes. If the chowder gets too thick, add a little bit more water to dilute it. Add salt to taste, if needed.
- Serve. Serve warm in a bowl and top with crispy bacon and fresh parsley, and a side of crusty bread for dunking.
Tips for Storing and Freezing
- How to store: Store creamy ham and potato soup in the pot (covered with the lid) or transfer to an airtight container, and store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- How to freeze: Allow the soup to cool to room temperature, then transfer it to into an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator or for a few hours at room temperature on the kitchen counter.
- How to reheat: Reheat on the stove over medium heat for a few minutes until warmed through and serve with garnish on top. If the soup has thickened too much, just add a little water to thin it out to your desired consistency.
More Soup Recipes
- Sweet Potato Soup
- Creamy Tortellini Soup with Sausage
- Creamy Mexican Corn Soup
- Vegetarian Mushroom Barley Soup
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup
- Beef Cabbage Barley Soup
This quick and easy creamy ham and potato soup forms a part of my 25 warm and cozy fall soup recipes. Follow the link to check out all of my 25 fall favourite soups.
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.