Creamy pumpkin chickpea coconut curry with cashews and broccoli. Yes. This just happened.
I like to get festive and make at least one pumpkin dish every fall. If I had to choose my all-time favourite, it would have to be this one, right here. Yup, I choose this comfort food even over cookies or pie. A bowl of this curry will warm you right up on any cold, fall day!
It's ready in under 30 minutes and it's both vegan and gluten-free! Um, I think that is what you call a very strong contender for meatless Mondays. Maximize your time even further by preparing a pot of easy coconut rice or Basmati rice first or at the same time. You can also serve this with some delicious garlic naan bread.
Why am I obsessed with pumpkin? Well, it is kind of fall's superfood. Just to name a few, here are some reasons why:
- boosts immunity
- burns fat
- protects your eyes
- cancer fighting
- beneficial for your heart
- reduces inflammation
Pumpkin Chickpea Coconut Curry
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
Warm yourself up this fall with a big bowl of comforting pumpkin chickpea coconut curry with cashews. This curry is also vegan and gluten-free!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 2 and ½ cups pumpkin, peeled and chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 2 and ½ tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 - 14 oz. can of coconut milk
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 cup canned chickpeas
- ½ cup cashews, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté onion for two minutes and add ginger and garlic. Sauté for another minute until fragrant and onions are soft and translucent.
- Add curry paste and pumpkin. Combine and cook for another minute.
- Stir in coconut milk and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add broccoli and simmer for 5 more minutes, uncovered.
- Stir in chickpeas, cashews, and lime juice.
- Serve with cilantro on top.
- You can store any leftovers for up to 4 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container or up to 1 month in the freezer.
- You can substitute the pumpkin with butternut squash.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Category: Main
Made it and it was absolutely delicious!!! Will definitely make it again!!
Very easy to follow, but amazing outcome!
I had green curry paste already open in the fridge so used that instead of red and to fix the colour precooked some of the pumpkin so it purées and mixed into the sauce and turned it orange. This is delicious and 10/10 would make again. I’m not a vegetarian but I do eat meat free a few times a week so I’m always on the look out for great recipes like this!
Sam | Ahead of Thyme says
Thank you! I have never tried it with green curry paste, great idea when you are low on red curry!