This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions and recipe are mine alone. #PickedAtPeak #CollectiveBias
When it’s November and everything pumpkin seems to be on sale, I can’t help but stock up at my local Walmart. So, in addition to my fresh pumpkin, I also picked up a few other produce items and some jars of Prego Farmers’ Market® sauce. And then it happened…. creamy pumpkin pasta was born.
What I love about the tomato & basil sauce from Prego Farmers’ Market® is that it is made with the kind of ingredients that I would normally find at my local farmers’ market, such as vine-ripened tomatoes, garlic, and basil, all picked at the peak and made the way I would with olive oil, black pepper and oregano. Which means I don’t have to spend hours getting distracted strolling around the farmers’ market finding my ingredients and I cut my prep and cook time down by half! Note to self, make this for dinner every weeknight.
When you think of tomato and basil sauce with pumpkin and sage, a little scepticism or confusion might first come to mind but don’t make any judgments until you have tried this! You will be pleasantly surprised. What you will experience is an irresistible taste, bursting with fall flavour. Like I said, this may very well be the perfect weeknight dinner of the season. Or serve this as a side dish at Thanksgiving and make a statement. Could this possibly outshine that roast turkey? Gasp!
Pumpkin aka. Fall’s Superfood
Pumpkin is an essential ingredient to making this creamy pumpkin pasta. And guess what? It is fall’s superfood. Which means it has a whole list of amazing health benefits. To name a few:
- Helps eyesight
- Great source of fibre
- Prevents cancer
- Fights wrinkles
- Boosts your mood
- Boost immune system
- Lowers blood pressure
- Promotes heart health
The perfect weeknight meal is born this fall when pumpkin, tomato sauce and sage come together to create a delicious, creamy pumpkin pasta!
- 1 (13 oz. or 375 g) package uncooked pasta (I used gluten-free spaghetti)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 tablespoon sage leaves, minced (about 3–4 leaves)
- 1 cup Prego Farmers’ Market® tomato & basil sauce
- 1 and 1/2 cups pumpkin puree (homemade or canned)
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- a pinch of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional for topping)
- 1–2 tablespoons sage leaves, minced (optional for topping)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. While the pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce.
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat vegetable oil over medium high. Add the garlic and sage and sauté for about 20-30 seconds until soft and fragrant. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add Prego Farmers’ Market® tomato & basil sauce, pumpkin puree, stock, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and bring mixture to a boil.
- Turn heat down to low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Stir in coconut milk and cinnamon. (If the sauce is too thick, add some water).
- Drain the cooked pasta and add it to the sauce. Toss to combine.
- Sprinkle on some grated Parmesan cheese and minced sage (optional) and serve!
- If you are not a big fan of basil, you can make this recipe using Prego Farmers’ Market® classic marinara sauce instead.
- Learn more about Prego Farmers’ Market® sauces by watching this short video.
- You can find Prego Farmers’ Market® sauces at your local Walmart in the pasta aisle.
- Click HERE to save $0.50 – $1.00 on your next purchase of Prego Farmers’ Market® sauces at Walmart.