Delicious and creamy brussels sprouts bake is the ultimate comfort food, loaded with two types of cheese for so much flavour. It's garlicky, creamy, cheesy, flavourful and just so so good. It is one of the best ways to eat brussels sprouts and my favourite. Plus, it's so easy to make, from prep to table in under 30 minutes.
When you add cream and cheese into any dish, it is just instantly better. If you know, you know. This brussels sprouts bake has a creamy alfredo-like sauce that also gets amazing flavour from a little sautéed onions, garlic, and Italian seasoning. And the smell that will flow through your kitchen as you make this... might just be the best part.
Brussels sprouts always finds a way on our dinner table in the fall, and it has a permanent spot on our Thanksgiving dinner menu every year. We typically make easy roasted brussels sprouts or crispy air fryer brussels sprouts, but this year we decided to make everything on our table a little extra comforting. And boy are we glad that we did.
Some of our other favourite sides to serve in the fall and during the holidays are:
- brussels sprouts
- butter - can use olive oil instead.
- Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- heavy cream - You can substitute with half-and-half cream, if desired.
- sharp white cheddar - You can also substitute this with mozzarella or use a combination of the 2.
- Parmesan cheese - You can also substitute with asiago cheese.
You will also need a cast-iron skillet (or an oven safe skillet). You could also sauté the ingredients in a regular skillet and then transfer into a casserole dish to bake.
How to Make the Best Creamy Brussels Sprouts Bake
- Sauté the brussels sprouts. Melt butter in cast-iron skillet (or oven safe skillet) over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté until soft, about 2-3 minutes. Add brussels sprouts, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Sauté until the brussels sprouts are crispy and start to char, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add in cream and cheese. Then, turn off the heat, and add cream, cheddar and Parmesan. Stir to combine and until cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
- Bake in the oven. Transfer skillet into a 375F preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes. To get it extra charred on top, place under the broiler on high for an extra 1-2 minutes. Keep a close eye on the broiler so that it does not burn.
Tips for Storing
- How to store: Store any leftover creamy brussels sprouts in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- How to reheat: Reheat leftovers in the microwave or over the stove on low heat
More Brussels Sprouts Recipes
- 12-Minute Crispy Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- One Pan Roasted Harvest Vegetables
- Easy Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette
- Air Fryer Vegetable "Stir Fry" with Tofu
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.
Don't forget to sign up for my email newsletter so that you don't miss any recipes. You can also follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more recipe updates.
Creamy Brussels Sprouts Bake
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Diet: Vegetarian
Delicious, garlicky, cheesy and creamy brussels sprouts bake is the ultimate comfort food side dish. So flavourful and the best way to eat brussels sprouts.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup onions, finely chopped (approximately half medium onion)
- 1 lb. brussels sprouts, bottoms trimmed and halved
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sharp white cheddar (or mozzarella), freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Melt butter in cast-iron skillet (or oven safe skillet) over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté until soft, about 2-3 minutes. Add brussels sprouts, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Sauté until the brussels sprouts are crispy and start to char, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat, and add cream, cheddar and Parmesan. Stir to combine and until cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
- Transfer skillet into oven and bake for 15 minutes. To get it extra charred on top, place under the broiler on high for an extra 1-2 minutes. Keep a close eye on the broiler so that it does not burn.
Equipment used: cast-iron skillet or an oven safe skillet (you could also sauté the ingredients in a regular skillet and then transfer into a casserole dish to bake).
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamy brussels sprouts bake, cheesy brussels sprouts, baked brussels sprouts with cheese, creamy baked brussel sprouts, skillet brussels sprouts
Could I throw this in a slow cooker instead of the oven or would the cream get scorched? If so, how long do you recommend?
Aditi Bahl says
Absolutely wonderful flavors and perfect dish. Tried this on the weekend and it came out just beautiful. thanks for the recipe.
Sam | Ahead of Thyme says
Wow thank you so much! So happy you liked the recipe.
Nicole Washington says
I can definitley see myself eating this dish! I like Brussel Sprouts but my family doesn't so I don't make it a lot. This might change things though.
Sam | Ahead of Thyme says
Yes, give this a try! Let me know if you make it. 🙂
Laura Arteaga says
What a lovely side dish to serve with our roast dinners!! Can't wait to try it, the creamy sauce looks just delicious, thank you for sharing this recipe!
Sam | Ahead of Thyme says
Thank you! It's so good, you will love it!