These sweet and sticky honey garlic chicken wings are baked (or air fried) until super crispy and then tossed in a honey garlic sauce. Every finger-licking bite is sweet, sour, and so garlicky. They are simple, crave-worthy, and make the perfect small batch appetizer. You can't go wrong with a classic like this.
What is in Honey Garlic Chicken Wings?
- chicken wings - approximately 10 split wings.
- chicken marinade - soy sauce, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- honey garlic sauce - we make this classic chicken wing sauce with soy sauce, honey, water, minced garlic and cornstarch. The cornstarch thickens up the sauce.
- white sesame seeds - to sprinkle on top.
You could even leave out the honey garlic sauce and use any other sauce that you like. Or leave the wings as is, sprinkle some extra salt and pepper on top, and you've got yourself some crispy salt and pepper wings.
How to Make the Best Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
- Marinate the chicken. Place the chicken wings into a ziploc bag. Add soy sauce, olive oil, salt and pepper. Shake well. Then press the air out of the bag and seal. Press the marinade around the chicken to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, up to overnight.
- Cook the chicken. Either air fryer or bake in the oven.
- To air-fry, place the chicken wings into the air fryer basket and cook at 350 F for 20-22 minutes. Open and shake the basket halfway through to make sure they are cooked evenly.
- To bake in the oven, place chicken on a lined cooking tray and bake at 375 F (190 C) for 35 minutes. Turn the wings halfway through baking.
- Make the honey garlic sauce. Combine soy sauce, honey, water, garlic and cornstarch in a small pot. Heat over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring well to combine. The sauce will get thicker but will be smooth and uniform.
- Coat wings with sauce. Transfer the honey garlic wings to a large bowl. Pour the honey garlic sauce on top and gently toss to combine to fully coat the wings. Serve the wings on a plate and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
Tips for Making Chicken Wings
- Turn the wings halfway. Whether that means shaking the air fryer basket halfway, or turning the wings halfway when baking in the oven. This will ensure even cooking.
- How to double the recipe. If making these wings in the oven, simply double the recipe and bake the wings together in your cooking tray. If you are using an air fryer, being able to easily double the recipe will depend on the size of your air fryer basket. I would recommend cooking it in two batches if you are doubling up, as you don't want to overcrowd your air fryer. This will ensure that the wings are cooked evenly.
- How to store. These honey garlic chicken wings are best served fresh. You can store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and reheat them quickly air fryer, oven, or microwave.
More Chicken Wings Recipes
- Air Fryer Breaded Fried Chicken Wings
- Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
- Crispy Baked Asian Chicken Wings
- Game Day Buffalo Hot Wings
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.