Chicken wings are the quintessential game day food, and for good reason! They’re so simple to make and in one batch you can feed a whole crowd. I usually make typical game day buffalo hot wings, but this year I am switching things up and giving my game day wings a bit of Asian flavour in recipe #3 of our Countdown to the Super Bowl series — crispy baked Asian chicken wings.
The Asian flavoured sauce is so easy to make and it is super delicious. The ingredients all just work together — sriracha for heat, honey and brown sugar for sweetness, and ginger to round out and balance the flavours. But if you don't want to make your own sauce (though this one is really quick, give it a try!), you can pick up an Asian marinade at the store and brush it on top instead.
Try these baked chicken wings instead of fried ones, and I KNOW you’ll be surprised by how crispy they turn out! So what are you waiting for? Impress your Super Bowl party guests with these crispy, addictive wings. But beware, there’s literally no way you can eat just one.
You will be amazed by how crispy these baked Asian chicken wings turn out! We add sriracha for heat, honey for sweetness, and ginger to balance the flavours.
- 2-3 lbs. chicken wings
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce (or less, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste (or fresh ginger, grated)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper then top with a cooling rack. Line chicken wings on top then let sit out at room temperature for two hours before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Brush chicken wings on both sides with melted butter, then season salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook for 30 minutes, rotating the pan once halfway through cooking time.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Combine soy sauce, honey, brown sugar, sriracha, and ginger paste in a small sauce pan. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking the ingredients until sugar has melted and the sauce comes to a high simmer, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Remove wings from oven and turn the oven temperature down to 350 F. Brush sauce on the wings, then bake for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish wings with sesame seeds and scallions, then serve immediately.
If you don’t love spice, cut back to only 1 teaspoon of sriracha.