If you’re looking for an easy weeknight meal, I’ve got you covered. Throw a couple things in the oven when you get home from work and within an hour you’ve got a gourmet meal ready to go. It's called BBQ chicken stuffed baked potatoes.
The flavours flavours that we all love about BBQ chicken pizza come together in this loaded baked potato. I am talking about BBQ chicken paired with scallions and cilantro. Yup, it's kind of a classic. This loaded potato is elevated with the addition of gruyere, a slightly funky cheese. It melts so beautifully and it contrasts the sweetness of the BBQ sauce perfectly. I also used shallots in this recipe instead of typical raw red onions as it offers a less intense flavour. But, if you got a spicy pallet, feel free to substitute red onion for a more intense heat.
This recipe is so easy to prepare. Your oven really does most of the work. I cooked chicken breasts from scratch, but you could certainly make it even easier by picking up a rotisserie chicken from the store. If you are roasting chicken breasts at home, make sure to buy bone-in, skin-on (you can discard the skin after cooking). For some reason, these are so much more flavorful than boneless skinless breasts.
This is such an easy and impressive meal. Looks and tastes like it came from a restaurant. I hope you love it as much as I do!
Try this gorgeous combination of BBQ chicken, scallions, cilantro and gruyere for an explosion of flavour in loaded BBQ chicken stuffed baked potatoes!
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- salt and ground black pepper
- 2 bone-in skin-on chicken breasts (or 1 rotisserie chicken)
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- ½ cup cilantro
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Scrub potatoes clean, then poke all over with a fork or knife. Pour about ½ tablespoon olive oil on each potato and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- Wrap each potato completely in aluminum foil and place potatoes directly on rack in lower ⅓ of oven. Cook for 1 hour until potatoes are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
- While potatoes are baking, place chicken on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast on oven rack in upper ⅓ of oven for 45 minutes or until juices run clear and chicken is cooked through. Set aside and let cool.
- Remove skin from chicken breasts (or rotisserie chicken) and discard. Shred the meat and place in a small bowl. Add BBQ sauce and toss to combine.
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise and season with a little salt and pepper. Top with BBQ chicken, shredded cheese, shallots, cilantro, and scallions. Pour a little extra BBQ sauce on top and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 1 hour