Happy Chinese (or Lunar) New Year! My favourite thing about Chinese New Year is that my hubby will whip up a bunch of delicious Chinese dishes. This year he surprised me with my favourite perfectly cooked, juicy, tender tiger prawns in delicious garlic ginger soy sauce. So, of course I had to photograph and share his masterpiece recipe with you.
When my hubby prepares these Chinese dishes, it literally looks, tastes, and smells like it came from a fancy Shanghainese restaurant, but no, it came from my fancy Shanghainese husband... and in just 15 minutes (including prep time). Mind blown. Uhh, hello new favourite weeknight meal of all time.
Are Tiger Prawns Healthy?
Not only are tiger prawns delicious, they also have an impressive nutritional profile. They are a low-fat source of high-quality protein which makes them a healthier choice for protein than red meat, and with a lot less calories. AND they are a good source of vitamins and minerals including vitamin B-12, B-6 and niacin, iron.
Ingredients in the Perfect Tiger Prawns
It all comes down to flavour when we are talking about Asian cuisine. And these tiger prawns do not fall short. They are immersed in incredible Asian flavours, which you will taste with every bite. Here is what you will need:
- tiger prawns
- olive oil
- Chinese cooking wine
- soy sauce
- black pepper (optional)
How to Make Tiger Prawns in Garlic Ginger Soy Sauce
It takes about 10 minutes to cook these tiger prawns, so of course, the steps will be pretty straightforward.
- Sauté ginger and garlic.
- Add tiger prawns.
- Stir in cooking wine.
- Stir in soy sauce.
- Stir in sugar and black pepper (optional) with some water.
10-minute tiger prawns in garlic ginger soy sauce is juicy, tender and immersed in incredible Asian flavours. It's the perfect weeknight meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 15 large tiger prawns, deveined, rinsed and dried
- 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add tiger prawns and stir to coat with oil. Continue to cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly to ensure even cooking on all sides.
- Stir in cooking wine and continue to stir for 15 seconds. Stir in soy sauce and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sugar, pepper (optional) and water. Turn heat to high, cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn heat down to low, give the prawns a final stir, ensuring that the sauce is coating prawns completely. Remove from heat. (Note: prawns will be done once they are evenly coloured and have shrunk in size but are no longer getting smaller).
- Serve with some cilantro on top.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: prawns, tiger prawns, soy sauce prawns