Sweet and sticky, baked BBQ chicken wings are perfectly crispy, so delicious, and smothered in barbecue sauce. They are the perfect game day appetizer alongside some ranch dipping sauce or as a main dish served with a side salad. Plus, these are baked so they are so much better for than deep fried wings.
Is it even game day if there isn't a plate of piping hot chicken wings? They are kind of the appetizer for game day. Whether you like them spicy as in spicy buffalo hot wings, or breaded as in breaded fried chicken wings, or with a different flavour as in honey garlic chicken wings or crispy baked Asian chicken wings, it's the best appy for sharing.
To make baked BBQ chicken wings, you will need the following ingredients:
- chicken wings - 2 lbs. of split wings (flat or drumettes), approximately 16-20 split wings.
- vegetable oil
- Italian seasoning (optional)
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- BBQ sauce - made using tomato paste (or ketchup), soy sauce, vinegar, and honey (or maple syrup). You can also use ½ cup storebought BBQ sauce instead.
- white sesame seeds - for garnish.
How to Make the Best BBQ Chicken Wings
- Marinate the chicken wings. Pat dry chicken wings completely with a paper towel before adding seasoning. Place chicken wings into a ziploc bag, along with vegetable oil, Italian seasoning (if using), garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Press the seasoning around the wings to coat and place in the fridge to marinate at least 30 minutes.
- Bake the chicken wings. Arrange the wings on a wire cooking rack on a quarter sheet baking pan and bake in a 400 F preheated oven for 40 minutes, flipping the wings halfway through baking.
- Make the BBQ sauce. Prepare the BBQ sauce by whisking to combine tomato paste, soy sauce, vinegar and honey in a small bowl. Let the sauce mixture sit for 15 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Coat and continue baking. Remove chicken from oven and use a brush to generously apply BBQ sauce over each wing. Place back into the oven for another 5 minutes. Flip the wings, apply BBQ sauce again on the other side and bake for another 5 minutes. The internal temperature for the chicken should reach 165 F.
- Broil. Turn the broiler on high and broil the wings for additional 2-3 minutes to make the skin browned and crispy. Keep a close eye on broiler so that the wings don't burn.
- Toss wings in more sauce. Place wings into a large bowl and pour remaining BBQ sauce on top. Toss to coat. Serve immediately with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Tips for Making Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
- Use homemade or storebought BBQ sauce. If using storebought sauce, just use ½ cup of sauce.
- Turn the wings halfway. Turning the wings halfway when baking in the oven will ensure even cooking.
- How to double the recipe. Simply double the recipe and bake the wings in a larger half sheet baking pan.
- How to store. These BBQ chicken wings are best served fresh. You can store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and reheat them quickly air fryer, oven, or microwave.
More Game Day Appetizers
- Fried Mac and Cheese Balls
- Easy Homemade Chicken Nuggets
- Baked Spinach Dip
- Crispy Fried Vegetarian Spring Rolls
- Easy Fish Tacos with Lime Crema
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.