Sweet and sticky, baked BBQ chicken wings are perfectly crispy, so delicious, and smothered in barbecue sauce. They are the perfect game day appetizer.
- 2 lbs. chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds (for garnish)
For the BBQ Sauce:
- 1/3 cup tomato paste (or ketchup)
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey (or maple syrup)
- Pat dry chicken wings completely with a paper towel before adding seasoning. Place chicken wings into a ziploc bag, along with vegetable oil, Italian seasoning (if using), garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Press the seasoning around the wings to coat and place in the fridge to marinate at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Arrange the wings on a wire cooking rack on a quarter sheet baking pan and bake for 40 minutes, flipping the wings halfway through baking.
- Prepare the BBQ sauce by whisking to combine tomato paste, soy sauce, vinegar and honey in a small bowl. Let the sauce mixture sit for 15 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Remove chicken from oven and use a brush to generously apply BBQ sauce over each wing. Place back into the oven for another 5 minutes. Flip the wings, apply BBQ sauce again on the other side and bake for another 5 minutes.The internal temperature for the chicken should reach 165 F.
- Turn the broiler on high and broil the wings for additional 2-3 minutes to make the skin browned and crispy. Keep a close eye on broiler so that the wings don't burn.
- Place wings into a large bowl and pour remaining BBQ sauce on top. Toss to coat. Serve immediately with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
BBQ sauce. You can make your own BBQ as per this recipe, or substitute with 1/2 cup of storebought BBQ sauce.
How to double the recipe. Simply double the recipe and bake the wings in a larger half sheet baking pan.
How to store. These BBQ chicken wings are best served fresh. You can store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and reheat them quickly air fryer, oven, or microwave.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes (+30 minutes to marinate)
- Cook Time: 52 minutes
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: baked BBQ chicken wings, BBQ chicken wings, baked chicken wings with BBQ sauce, easy baked chicken wings, baked wings