Quick and easy spaghetti bolognese is one of those recipes that everyone should have in their back pocket. Spaghetti noodles are tossed in a rich and thick meaty bolognese sauce that is packed with so much flavour. It comes together in under 30 minutes from prep to table, making it the perfect weeknight meal.
Quick and easy 30-minute meals are kind of our jam over here. This spaghetti bolognese never disappoints. Some other family favourites for busy weeknights are stovetop mac and cheese with white cheddar, creamy lemon chicken piccata, creamy tortellini soup with sausage, and baked maple salmon.
Ingredients in Spaghetti Bolognese
To make our version of spaghetti bolognese, you will need the following ingredients:
- spaghetti noodles
- olive oil
- ground beef
- tomato sauce and tomato paste
- Worcestershire sauce
- granulated sugar - helps balance out the sour tomato sauce and paste.
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley
- Parmesan cheese - to sprinkle on top when serving.
You also need a medium cooking bot or 4 qt. Dutch oven.
How to Make the Best Spaghetti Bolognese
- Make the spaghetti. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium high heat. Add spaghetti noodles and ½ tablespoon olive oil and cook till al dente (fully cooked but still firm) according to package directions, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse the noodles under cold water to cool off completely and set aside.
- Make the meat sauce. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium cooking pot or 4 qt. Dutch oven for 2 minutes over medium high heat until the hot oil sizzles. Add ground beef and stir well to cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes. Add onion and garlic. Stir well to combine and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes until soft and tender. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, parsley, salt, pepper, and parsley. Stir well to combine. Bring the meat sauce to a simmer, then turn the heat down to low and simmer for 10 minutes uncovered.
- Toss and serve. Add the spaghetti to the pot and toss well to coat with the sauce. Serve the spaghetti with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley on top.
- How to serve: Serve spaghetti bolognese with a side of crusty garlicky bread to soak up any delicious extra sauce. Try pull apart garlic bread, rosemary garlic focaccia bread, no knead bread or slices of french baguettes. I also like to balance a big plate of pasta with a fresh salad on the side. Try Mediterranean chickpea wedge salad, easy Greek salad, or tomato cucumber avocado salad.
- How to store. Store spaghetti bolognese in the pot with the lid on or in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply reheat in the pot over the stove or reheat a smaller portion in a shallow saucepan or in the microwave. You may need to add a little water to thin out the sauce a bit and it may have thickened up when stored.
More Pasta Recipes
- Easy Meat Lasagna
- Cheesy Tortellini and Sausage Bake
- Stovetop Mac and Cheese with White Cheddar
- Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo Pasta Bake
- Spaghetti Alfredo with Spinach and Mushrooms
- Creamy White Chicken and Spinach Lasagna
- Farfalle Pasta with Light Creamy Mushroom Rose Sauce
- Turkey Tetrazzini with Spinach
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.