Creamy and dreamy shrimp fettuccine alfredo pasta bake is garlicky, buttery, cheesy, and loaded with jumbo shrimp and fresh parsley smothered in the creamiest alfredo sauce. It's the ultimate comfort food topped with gooey and golden mozzarella cheese baked to perfection. The best part? It's ready in about 20 minutes, including prep. It's such a quick and easy weeknight dinner, not to mention delicious.
Serve this alfredo pasta bake with pull apart garlic bread to dip and soak up all that delicious sauce. You seriously don't want to miss out on a drop of it. Some other great breads that you can make to soak up the alfredo are small batch ciabatta rolls or green onion dinner rolls.
Ingredients in Shrimp Alfredo
- fettuccine pasta - I used fresh fettuccine which cooked in about 3 minutes. You can also use dry boxed fettuccine but note that it will take closer to 10 minutes to cook to al dente. You can even use any type of pasta shape that you like. A great option is penne as it will scoop up lots of sauce.
- salt - for boiling the pasta.
- olive oil
- garlic - I used minced garlic because of it's stronger flavour, but you can easily substitute with garlic powder if it is easier for you.
- parsley - lots and lots of parsley.
- shrimp - 1 pound of shrimp. I used jumbo shrimp which was about 20-24 pieces, but any kind of shrimp will work. To prepare, cut through the shell along the back of the prawns and remove the shells and tails. Then, rinse to remove the veins and pat dry with paper towel.
- alfredo sauce - made using melted butter, cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, and Parmesan cheese. You can also use store-bought alfredo sauce instead, especially if you don't have all these ingredients or want to make this even faster.
- ground black pepper
- salt flakes - to taste.
- fresh mozzarella cheese - for the pasta bake. The melted mozzarella cheese really enhances the flavour. You can choose to skip the mozzarella and the pasta bake step and just serve this as delicious shrimp fettuccine alfredo.
How to Make the Best Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo Pasta Bake
First, cook the fettuccine in a large pot of salted boiling water, according to package instructions until al dente (in other words, firm to the bite). Fresh fettuccine takes about 3 minutes to cook thoroughly, whereas dry pasta will take closer to 10 minutes. Drain the fettuccine in a colander and set aside to be added into the skillet directly without rinsing.
Next, make the creamy shrimp alfredo sauce. Heat olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium high heat. Add shrimp and cook until they turn orange, stirring frequently, about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic, onions, and parsley and stir well. Cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant and onions are soft and translucent.
Add melted butter, cream cheese and heavy whipping cream. Stir well and cook for about 2 minutes until the mixture forms into a uniform texture. Stir in Parmesan cheese and black pepper. Continue stirring well for another minute to combine all ingredients. You will notice the mixture start to thicken a bit.
Turn off the heat and add the cooked fettuccine. Toss well to combine. Sprinkle salt flakes on top to taste. You can serve the pasta immediately at this point, or continue on to the pasta bake.
For the pasta bake, add pieces of fresh mozzarella evenly on top of fettuccine. Transfer the skillet to the oven and broil on high for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese melts and browns. Keep a close eye on the pasta because things can happen very quickly in the broiler.
Tips for Making Shrimp Fettucine Alfredo
- Can I make this with chicken? Simply replace the shrimp with small pieces or strips of chicken and adjust the cook time. Depending on the size of the chicken, you should cook until chicken turns white, about 5-6 minutes, before proceeding to add the onions, garlic and parsley.
- How to serve: Serve this alongside some pull apart garlic bread or a crusty bread for dipping, such as small batch ciabatta rolls or small batch no-knead bread.
- How to store: Store shrimp fettuccine alfredo in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply heat in the microwave or in a skillet. You may need to add a little water to thin out the sauce a bit.
More Pasta Recipes
- Spaghetti Alfredo with Spinach and Mushrooms
- Creamy Avocado Basil Peso Spaghetti
- Butternut Squash Carbonara Pasta
- Creamy Spinach and Tomato Vegetarian Lasagna
- Farfalle Pasta with Light Creamy Mushroom Rose Sauce
- Spaghetti and Meatballs
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.