Quick easy spaghetti bolognese with a rich, thick, delicious and flavourful meat sauce is a family favourite ready in 30 minutes. Best weeknight dinner.
- 1 lb. spaghetti noodles, uncooked
- 2 + 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 (24 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (+ more for garnish), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium high heat. Add spaghetti noodles and 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and cook till al dente (fully cooked but still firm) according to package directions, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse the noodles under cold water to cool off completely and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium cooking pot or 4 qt. Dutch oven for 2 minutes over medium high heat until the hot oil sizzles. Add ground beef and stir well to cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic. Stir well to combine and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes until soft and tender.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, parsley, salt, pepper, and parsley. Stir well to combine. Bring the meat sauce to a simmer, then turn the heat down to low and simmer for 10 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spaghetti to the pot and toss well to coat with the sauce.
- Serve the spaghetti with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley on top.
How to serve: Serve spaghetti bolognese with a side of crusty garlicky bread to soak up any delicious extra sauce. Try pull apart garlic bread, rosemary garlic focaccia bread, no knead bread or slices of french baguettes. I also like to balance a big plate of pasta with a fresh salad on the side. Try Mediterranean chickpea wedge salad, easy Greek salad, or tomato cucumber avocado salad.
How to store. Store spaghetti bolognese in the pot with the lid on or in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply reheat in the pot over the stove or reheat a smaller portion in a shallow saucepan or in the microwave. You may need to add a little water to thin out the sauce a bit and it may have thickened up when stored.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: spaghetti bolognese, quick and easy spaghetti bolognese, easy bolognese sauce, pasta with tomato meat sauce, spaghetti with beef