These soft and fluffy, easy homemade artisan hamburger buns topped with black and white sesame seeds are light, airy, puffy, so flavourful and the perfect complement to a juicy hamburger patty. Plus, they take just 30 minutes to prep and bake (and 2 hours rise time). With a recipe so quick and easy, we don't buy storebought burger buns anymore.
What is in Homemade Burger Buns?
- all purpose flour
- milk and butter - adds fat content to make the hamburger buns fluffier and softer.
- eggs - promotes rising because eggs are a leavening agent (similar to baking powder).
- instant yeast - ready to use right away, and takes less time to prep than using active dry yeast. Yeast is what makes the buns so light and airy.
- salt - for flavour.
- sugar - it feeds the yeast, helping the dough rise faster.
- white and/or black sesame seeds - for topping.
How to Make the Best Homemade Hamburger Buns
First, prepare the dough. In a large bowl, add milk, butter, egg, yeast, sugar, and salt together in a large bowl. Mix well with a spatula to combine. Add flour and stir well to combine until there are no dry flour particles visible in the bowl. Let the mixture rest covered for 10 minutes.
Next, knead the dough. Transfer the dough onto a clean and lightly greased surface. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and not sticky. Transfer the smooth dough ball back in the mixing bowl. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and let rest for 1 to 1.5 hours until the dough doubles in size. This step is known as first rise.
Then, shape the buns. Roll the dough into a log and divide it into 5 equal pieces. Cover the dough with a damp cloth or cling wrap to prevent it from drying. Take one piece at a time and shape each piece into a smooth ball. Flatten each dough, fold and press all edges into the centre. Turn it over and cup the dough in your palm, making circular motions. It should take less than 30 seconds to roll each piece into a smooth ball.
Gently flatten each dough ball into a 3-inch wide disc. If the dough ball shrinks a bit when you flatten it, let it rest for 5 minutes and stretch it out a bit more with your fingers.
Then, proof the buns. Place the buns spaced apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet (or line with a silicone baking mat). Cover with a piece of lightly greased cling wrap or a tea towel and let rise for about an hour until the buns are almost double in size.
Lastly, it's time to bake the hamburger buns. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg wash (egg and milk). Apply egg wash on each bun and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Bake for 18-20 minutes in a 375 F preheated oven or until the tops are golden brown in colour. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving.
FAQ and Tips on Making Homemade Hamburger Buns
- Do I have to weigh the ingredients? You can use measuring cups instead, but weighing out the ingredients will give the most precise measurements. A kitchen scale is a relatively cheap investment.
- How do I know if the dough is well-kneaded? A well-kneaded dough should be smooth and bounces back quickly when poked with your finger. If the indentation doesn’t bounce back right away and stays like a dimple, keep kneading for a few more minutes.
- What is the texture of the dough like? With the butter and milk in this recipe, the dough should be a bit sticky in the beginning. After a few minutes of kneading, the dough will turn smooth and not sticky. By lightly oiling your hands when kneading, it will help keep the dough from sticking to your hands initially.
- How do I store hamburger buns? You can store these buns in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also freeze them in an airtight container or ziploc freezer bag for up to 3 months. I recommend slicing them first before freezing so you can easily defrost them in the toaster under the defrost setting.
How to Serve Hamburger Buns
Serve these delicious artisan homemade hamburger buns with a:
- classic juicy hamburger
- spinach and feta turkey burgers
- rosemary thyme quarter pound burgers
- 15-minute fish burger
- veggie burger with lima beans
More Bread Recipes
- Quick Green Onion Dinner Rolls
- Easy Small Batch Ciabatta Rolls
- Easy Homemade Everything Bagels
- Small Batch No-Knead Bread
- Quick and Easy Pita Bread
- No Knead French Baguettes
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.