So...remember those Easy Lima Beans that I cooked up last week? Well, I made a big batch and I had lots of leftovers. I decided to do something creative with what was left. So what did I decide to do? Homemade veggie burger with lima beans. Let me pause a minute while you take that in.
These burgers are my new favourite! Who needs meat when you can get protein-packed, juicy and flavourful burgers like these? As if that wasn't enough to convince you, this recipe is also super quick and easy! This recipe takes only 20 minutes from prep to plate! However, that is only if you have already made a batch of Easy Lima Beans. If you haven't, then you will need to set aside about an hour or 2 make a batch of the beans. But the good news is that you don't have to stand over the beans for the whole hour, you just put it on the stove and let it simmer away.
Once the beans are ready and cool, you only need a few more ingredients and a few simples steps to make the perfect veggie burger patty
The ingredients: quinoa, spices, lemon juice, breadcrumbs and an egg.
The instructions: You will need to mash the beans, add the rest of the ingredients and stir until fully combined. Form tight patties using your hands and place the patties onto an oiled skillet. Fry for a couple of minutes on each side and voila! Yes, that's it!
My favourite way to eat these delicious patties is obviously in a burger, served with a side of crispy french fries or sweet potato wedges. Top the burger with your favourite toppings and devour! I topped mine with avocado, tomato, and mixed greens. I used a whole wheat bun but if you want to keep this gluten-free, you will need to use gluten-free buns.
But there are so many ways to eat these veggie burger patties. They are so versatile!
- Make an appetizer by dipping these patties into ketchup, chipotle mayo or any other favourite sauce.
- Make a healthy lunch and serve these patties over a mixed greens salad.
- Make a filling dinner and serve these patties over a plate of Basmati rice.
Why not also make your own easy homemade hamburger buns? It takes less than 3 hours with only 15 minutes of actual prep work. These buns are soft, fluffy, and airy. Totally worth the extra effort.
You don't need to be vegetarian to enjoy a protein-packed, juicy and flavourful homemade veggie burger with lima beans.
Lima bean patties:
- 2 cups of Easy Lima Beans, cooled for at least an hour
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper powder (use less if you don't like spicy)
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice (juice from ½ lemon)
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 burger buns
- 1 tomato, sliced
- avocado, mashed
- leafy greens
- Drain out any excess water from the Easy Lima Beans.
- In a large bowl, mash the lima beans using a potato masher.
- Add the quinoa, red pepper powder, paprika and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Add in the bread crumbs and egg and mix well.
- Using your hands, roll the mixture into tight balls and form patties.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Cook each patty for 3-4 minutes on each side, until browned.
- Serve the patties on a salad or in a burger.
Make your own easy homemade hamburger buns in under 3 hours with only 15 minutes of actual prep work. They are soft, fluffy, and airy.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: American
TIP: For a gluten-free option, use gluten-free breadcrumbs and buns.