With the holidays fast approaching, I know I’m looking for easy, flavourful appetizers to feed a crowd. Caramelized onion dip could not be any simpler or perfect. Just gather 8 simple ingredients, and you will be on your way to some melt-in-your-mouth type of goodness right here!
The Perfect Flavour
So how do you achieve that perfect caramelized colour and flavour? The tip is to cook the onions low and slow to help them to develop that sweet, caramel-like flavour. But the secret ingredient that gives this dip its signature flavour is…. wait for it…. Worcestershire sauce! This is so unbelievably addicting, you’ll never buy store bought again.
So invite over all your friends, neighbours, and family. Cause this onion dip is the perfect, easy entertaining app whether you’re preparing for the holidays or a football game (yes, can’t believe we are in football season already)!
You can also jazz it up by serving this onion dip alongside a fancy crudité spread or (my personal preference) your favourite go-to chips. Enjoy!
Caramelized onion dip is an easy, flavourful appetizer that literally melts in your mouth. It’s sweet, caramely and even gets a kick from a secret ingredient. Try this crowd pleaser today!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large or 2 medium sweet onions (Vidalia onions), diced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 an 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- chips, for serving
- carrots or other crudité, for serving
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onions, then cook, stirring often, for about 25 minutes, or until onions are caramelized and golden brown. Add Worcestershire sauce, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan to release any brown bits. Let cool about 10-15 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Stir to combine. Add cooled onions, then stir and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until completely cool.
- Serve onion dip with chips and/or credité.