Caramelized onion dip is creamy, flavorful, and melt-in-your-mouth delicious. This easy appetizer is loaded with golden caramelized onions and just 7 other ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry and refrigerator. This crowd pleaser is the perfect appy to serve for easy entertaining, on an epic game day spread, or when you are just craving a snack.
Why You'll Love Caramelized Onion Dip
- It has the best color and flavor. So how do you achieve that perfect caramelized color and flavor? The secret is to cook the onions low and slow to help them to develop that sweet, caramel-like flavour. But the secret ingredient that gives this dip its signature flavour is.... wait for it.... Worcestershire sauce! This is so unbelievably crave-worthy, you’ll never buy store bought again.
- It's the perfect dip for easy entertaining. This onion dip is the perfect, easy entertaining appetizer to serve for game day, the holidays, or whenever you are craving a late-night snack. So go ahead and invite over all your friends, neighbours, and family. This dip won't last long!
- How to serve. Serve caramelized onion dip on a charcuterie board, alongside a fancy crudité spread or (my personal favorite) with your go-to pack of chips, crackers, or crusty bread.
To make this easy and flavorful caramelized onion dip, you need the following ingredients:
- sweet onion - such as Vidalia onions
- Worcestershire sauce
- sour cream
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper powder - a pinch of cayenne for a little kick. Feel free to leave this out if you don't like extra heat.
How to Make the Best Caramelized Onion Dip
- Caramelize the onions. In a large cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, for about 25 minutes, or until onions are caramelized and golden brown. Add Worcestershire sauce, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan to release any brown bits. Let cool about 10-15 minutes.
- Make the dip. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Stir to combine. Stir in cooled onions until incorporated.
- Serve. Serve onion dip at room temperature with chips and/or credité, or refrigerate for 2 hours and serve completely cool.
More Dip Recipes
- 20 Best Dip Recipes
- Baked Spinach Dip
- Queso Mexican Cheese Dip
- Whipped Ricotta Dip
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Baba Ganoush Eggplant Dip
- Mango Salsa
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.