Blueberry buckle cake is soft and moist, loaded with fresh blueberries, and has a crunchy, sweet and buttery streusel topping. This delicious coffee cake is quick and easy to make and comes together with just 10 minutes of prep before its ready to pop into the oven. Serve it as is with a drizzle of lemon glaze on top, and with a hot cup of coffee or tea.
Why You'll Love Blueberry Buckle Cake
- Quick and easy to prep. This blueberry buckle cake takes just 10 minutes to prepare the batter and streusel and pop it into the oven. It is ready to serve in under one hour. It's the perfect recipe to make for all level bakers, and an especially good one for beginners.
- The streusel topping takes it to another level. If you haven't had cake with streusel topping, then you are missing out. A streusel topping is a crunchy topping that you can add to cakes and muffins, giving it a delightful crunchy crumby topping with amazing flavor. It is made by combining butter with flour and sugar, and often also contains oats (like in our Cranberry Sauce Muffins).
- You can use fresh or frozen blueberries. I love to make this cake during blueberry season because we typically go to the blueberry farm and pick a huge bucket of blueberries. We then spend the next week baking all the blueberry desserts like Blueberry Pie, Blueberry Oat Squares, and Lemon Blueberry Scones. But the best part about this recipe is that you can also use frozen blueberries, so you can bake it all year long!
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make this delicious blueberry buckle cake with streusel topping, you will need the following ingredients:
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- brown sugar
- vegetable oil - any vegetable oil will work such as avocado oil or melted coconut oil. For a more buttery taste, substitute with melted butter.
- fresh blueberries
- streusel topping - made with butter, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
How to Make the Best Blueberry Buckle Cake
- Combine ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, combine all flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Whisk together until evenly distributed and set aside. In a separate medium mixing bowl, whisk to combine milk, oil, egg, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix together using a rubber spatula until just combined and no dry ingredients are visible. Do not overmix (overmixing will make the cake denser and firmer). Gently fold in the blueberries until they are evenly distributed.
- Make streusel topping. In a small mixing bowl, stir well to combine all the streusel topping ingredients including butter, sugar, flour and cinnamon. Mix well until crumbly. Set aside.
- Bake. Lightly grease an 8-inch springform pan with butter or oil. Pour and spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan and sprinkle streusel topping evenly. Bake in a 350 F preheated oven for 45 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool for 10-15 minutes, then open the springform to remove the cake. Slice and serve as is or with a drizzle of lemon glaze.
Storing and Freezing Instructions
- How to store. To keep this blueberry buckle cake fresh and moist, store it an airtight container or covered in plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 2-3 days. Wait until the cake has cooled down to room temperature before storing to avoid it from getting soggy. You can also store it longer in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- How to freeze. You can also freeze this blueberry buckle. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or in an airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Blueberry Recipes
- Blueberry Oat Squares
- Blueberry Pie with Lattice Top
- Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Blueberry Yogurt Muffins
- Glazed Lemon Blueberry Scones
- Triple Berry French Toast
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.