Whenever I am craving a good dip I always go for Mediterranean -- hummus, tzatziki, and now, baba ganoush. And boy, you will not believe how much flavour is packed into this simple to prepare and healthy dip!
What is Baba Ganoush?
Baba ganoush is a creamy eggplant dip. Most versions use roasted eggplant but we are grilling ours whole until crispy on the outside and creamy in the middle, and are then mixed with garlic and tahini. It’s an absolute explosion of flavor!
This is not at all like baking or roasting eggplant. The vegetable takes on a smokey flavour that is perfect served with pita bread, crudité, or even as an alternative to a spread on sandwiches. So much flavor!
Ingredients in Baba Ganoush
Baba ganoush is really simple to make with just a handful of ingredients. Here's what you will need:
- Italian eggplants
- lemon juice - fresh lemon juice is best
- garlic - this dip requires some raw garlic, so if you’re not a fan of eating raw garlic, I suggest roasting 1 or 2 cloves instead. You’ll still get that desirable garlic flavour, it will just be more mild and a bit sweeter.
- olive oil - I use extra virgin olive oil
- sesame seeds and parsley, for garnish
If you think you don’t like eggplant, you HAVE to give this recipe a try. It’ll change your mind for sure!
How to Make Baba Ganoush
- Prepare the eggplant. Grill for 30-35 minutes, until creamy inside and thin and crispy outside. Then slice in half and scoop out the flesh into a large bowl. Place in a strainer to remove excess liquid, and place into a clean bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients. Add lemon juice and garlic and stir until smooth and creamy. Slowly add tahini and olive oil. Taste and add salt as needed.
- Serve the baba ganoush. Top with a drizzle of olive oil, some sesame seeds, and parsley for garnish. Serve warm or at room temperature with pita chips or crudité.
More Dip Recipes
- Smooth and Creamy Hummus
- Easy Tzatziki Sauce (Yogurt Cucumber Dip)
- Creamy Avocado Hummus
- Baked Creamy Spinach Dip
Did you like this recipe? Please leave a comment and rating below, and let me know what you thought of the recipe.Print
Baba ganoush is a creamy eggplant dip mixed with garlic and tahini for an explosion of flavour! It is perfect served with pita chips or veggies.
- 3 medium Italian eggplants
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds (for garnish)
- parsley (for garnish)
- Heat a grill over medium heat. When hot, place eggplant directly on the grates and grill, turning every 10 minutes, for a total of 30-35 minutes. Eggplant should be creamy on the inside, while the outer skin will be thin and crispy. Remove and place on a large plate or baking sheet, cover with aluminum foil, then let sit for 20 minutes.
- Carefully slice each eggplant in half and scoop the flesh into a large bowl. Discard any bits of skin that fall in with the flesh. Place eggplant in a strainer over a large bowl and let sit for 10 minutes to remove any excess liquid. Return eggplant to a clean bowl.
- Add lemon juice and garlic and stir mixture quickly with a fork or whisk until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. While stirring, slowly add tahini and olive oil. Taste and add salt as needed.
- To plate, transfer baba ganoush to a serving bowl. Top with a drizzle of olive oil, some sesame seeds, and parsley for garnish. Serve warm or at room temperature with pita chips or crudité.
- Category: Dip
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: babaganoush, baba ganoush, eggplant dip, mediterranean dip