Caramelized onion dip is an easy, flavourful appetizer that literally melts in your mouth. It's sweet, caramely and even gets a kick from a secret ingredient. Try this crowd pleaser today!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large or 2 medium sweet onions (Vidalia onions), diced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 an 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- chips, for serving
- carrots or other crudité, for serving
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onions, then cook, stirring often, for about 25 minutes, or until onions are caramelized and golden brown. Add Worcestershire sauce, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan to release any brown bits. Let cool about 10-15 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Stir to combine. Add cooled onions, then stir and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until completely cool.
- Serve onion dip with chips and/or credité.