If classic hummus and guacamole had a baby, it would be avocado hummus! You might never go back to plain hummus after tasting this addictive version.
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and seeded
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed, drained (reserve 3–4 tablespoons of water from a can)
- 1 cup cilantro (approximately one bunch), chopped
- 1/3 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- juice of half a lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black ground pepper, to taste
- Combine avocado, chickpeas, cilantro, pumpkin seeds, garlic, and lemon juice in a food processor. Puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- With the motor running, slowly stream in the oil until you get the consistency you like. If needed, to thin out the consistency, add reserved chickpea liquid. Process for one more minute to combine.
You can use homemade chickpeas rather than from the can. If you have the time, you will need approximately 1/2 cup of dried chickpeas. Also remember to soak them overnight before cooking.