Easy baked chicken enchiladas brings the taste of authentic Mexican food into your kitchen -- saucy, spicy, and savoury. Perfect for a Mexican fiesta.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 chicken breasts (1 lb.), boneless and skinless, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium jalapeño peppers, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce (homemade or store-bought), divided
- 1 (8-piece) package flour tortillas
- 2 + 1/2 cups cheese (Mexican blend, cheddar, mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese), shredded
- fresh cilantro, finely chopped (for serving)
- sour cream (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
Prepare the Chicken:
- Heat oil in a large skillet for 2 minutes over medium high heat until sizzling hot. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add diced chicken and stir well to cook evenly until fully cooked through, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add jalapeño, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons enchilada sauce. Stir well until evenly combined. Set it aside.
Assemble the Enchiladas:
- Add and evenly spread 2 tablespoons enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan.
- Evenly spread 1-2 tablespoons enchilada sauce on each tortilla wrap.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup shredded cheese across the centre, and add 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture on top.
- Carefully roll up each tortilla wrap with chicken filling and arrange them in the baking pan with the seam side down.
- Pour and spread the remaining sauce evenly over top, and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
Bake the Enchiladas:
- Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes until the melted cheese turns golden brown. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with cilantro and sour cream, if desired.
How to serve: Enchiladas taste great in their own but are even better when served with rice and beans. Whether you prefer Spanish rice, white rice, or brown rice, you can't go wrong. For beans, consider black beans, pinto beans, or refried beans.
How to store: Store baked chicken enchiladas in a shallow airtight container in the refrigerator. Allow the enchiladas to cool to room temperature before placing in the fridge, and eat within 3-4 days.
How to reheat: Easily reheat enchiladas in the microwave. Cover the top, but allow the air to escape in they are in a container. Reheat in 20-second increments until hot. You can also reheat these easy chicken enchiladas in the oven at 350F for 15 minutes, or in the air fryer for 5-10 minutes or until hot.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: chicken enchiladas, baked chicken enchiladas, how to make chicken enchiladas, the best chicken enchiladas, mexican enchiladas