Shrimp taco salad is flavourful, delicious, and so easy to make. It has all the fixings and flavors of your favorite shrimp tacos, but without the mess. This light meal is packed with seasoned shrimp, healthy fresh veggies, crushed tortilla chips, and homemade cilantro lime dressing. The best part? This delicious taco bowl comes together in about 20 minutes. It's the perfect, quick and easy meal to serve for lunch or dinner -- especially on busy summer weeknights.
Why You’ll Love Shrimp Taco Salad
- It is healthy and nutritious. Shrimp is seafood that is bursting with health benefits. It provides lots of nutrients, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids. So, this shrimp taco salad is something you can feel good about eating!
- Quick and easy to make. Just like Beef Taco Salad, you can prep all the vegetables while you cook the shrimp, to make the most efficient use of your time. Plus, you can cook the shrimp in the oven, air fryer, or on the stove. Whichever way is the most convenient for you!
- Packed with the perfect blend of veggies. Romaine lettuce forms the bed of this salad, but a palette of color and flavor comes from purple cabbage, corn, avocado, cilantro, and tomatoes. While you can adjust the ingredients in this salad, you don’t want to miss out on any of these flavors.
- Fresh cilantro lime dressing. When paired with a fresh homemade Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing, this shrimp taco salad gets even better! The creamy dressing compliments everything, especially the seasoned shrimp.
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make this delicious and easy shrimp taco salad, you will need the following ingredients:
- shrimp - You will need one pound of white shrimp. To prepare them, use scissors to cut through the shell along the back of the prawns, and remove the shells and tails. Rinse to remove the veins and pat dry with paper towel.
- shrimp taco seasoning - made with olive oil, ground cumin, chili powder (optional for a kick), paprika, garlic powder, dried oregano (or Italian seasoning), salt, and ground black pepper.
- romaine lettuce
- grape tomatoes
- purple cabbage
- corn - you can use canned corn or frozen corn (boiled in water for 5 minutes).
- tortilla chips - I typically use plain unsalted tortilla chips, but you can also use seasoned tortilla chips such as Doritos.
- cilantro lime dressing - it's really easy to make homemade creamy cilantro lime dressing in about 5 minutes. You can also store-bought dressing or lime crema. Whatever is easier.
- lime wedges - optional, for a squeeze of extra lime juice.
The best thing about shrimp taco salad is that it's completely customizable. Add in any of your favorite taco fixings such as pico de gallo salsa, black beans, jalapeños, onions, queso, or hot sauce.
How to Make the Best Shrimp Taco Salad
- Prepare the shrimp. In a medium bowl, add shrimp, olive oil, cumin, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Toss well to coat and set aside to marinate for 15 minutes (if you have the time).
- Cook the shrimp. You can cook the shrimp in one of 3 ways -- in the oven, air fryer, or over the stove.
- To cook in the oven: Spread the shrimp evenly on a parchment lined quarter sheet baking pan and bake in a 400 F preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until the shrimp turns pink.
- To cook in the air fryer: Cook the shrimp in the air fryer at 350 F for 8-10 minutes, shaking the basket once halfway through.
- To cook on the stovetop: Sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes until shrimp turns pink and nicely browned.
- Assemble. In a large serving bowl, add all salad ingredients including lettuce, tomatoes, purple cabbage, avocado, corn, tortilla chips, and cooked shrimp.
- Serve. Drizzle cilantro lime dressing on top and toss to combine.
Tips and Tricks
- How to store and make ahead: If you anticipate having leftovers, serve the tortilla chips and shrimp on the side, and add it to your individually portioned out salad. This will prevent your chips from getting soggy and your shrimp from spoiling the rest of the salad if they go bad first. Plus, when stored separately you can easily reheat the shrimp and add it to the leftover salad the next day. The salad base will last in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The shrimp will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- How to substitute with other protein: If you are craving this salad but are thinking of using other protein, you totally can. Consider using salmon, cod, scallops, or another one of your favorite kinds of seafood in its place. Keep in mind that this recipe is designed to let the flavor of the shrimp come through, so proteins like chicken or beef are not the best substitution.
More Shrimp Recipes
- Shrimp Avocado Tostadas
- Shrimp Tacos with Lime Crema Slaw
- Creamy Tuscan Shrimp
- Baked Coconut Shrimp
- Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo Pasta Bake
- Grilled Cajun Shrimp Skewers
For more Mexican-inspired recipes, check out these 30 Best Mexican Recipes.
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.